Old 06-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Fuel Additives

How much of what, are you guys using when you fuel up? and how frequently, at each fill up?

I asked on the FB group as well but thought I'd be redundant for more replies. they said startron +stabil marine formula. I was a little surprised to see a mix of two different treatments at each fill up, but again, I'm learning...

Old 06-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I could swear I always used seafoam for my 90hp outboard but it's been a while. nobody has yet mentioned seafoam so I wanted to see what people are actually using.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:52 AM   #3
Admiral

Seafoam is good for cleaning the system out but not a treatment to stabilize fuel against water absorption. Personally I use stabil marine for winter layup and nothing during the season. I would only use one type per fill up and stay with the same product throughout the season.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #4

Startron and Seafoam are just two brands that do basically the same thing. They handle small amounts of water in the fuel.

Sta-bil is just a brand of fuel stabilizer that will attempt to prevent phase separation.

I use both Startron and Sta-bil (Marine) for ethenol with every fill-up. Seafoam and any brand of fuel stabilizer would be fine as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Startron and Seafoam are just two brands that do basically the same thing. They handle small amounts of water in the fuel.

Sta-bil is just a brand of fuel stabilizer that will attempt to prevent phase separation.

I use both Startron and Sta-bil (Marine) for ethenol with every fill-up. Seafoam and any brand of fuel stabilizer would be fine as well.
Shrew isn’t you latest boat diesel power? If so I would treat the fuel as you are but feel in my case gas isn’t in my tank tank long enough to worry during the season.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
Admiral

I use stabil marine about every 4th fueling but then I fuel when the tank gets to 3/4 since fuel is not always just around the corner on the lake.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Shrew isn’t you latest boat diesel power? If so I would treat the fuel as you are but feel in my case gas isn’t in my tank tank long enough to worry during the season.
I still have a dinghy with a gas OB. I treat the diesel with Sta-bil for Diesel along with diesel biocides. I have a 300 Gallon tank and a single diesel that burns roughly 3.5 gallons per hour. I get a fuel fill-up once every fall.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote