Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Frozen water tank

well...I have about a half a tank of fresh water in the boat..forgot to drain it this yr...and low and behold we're in the worst winter since 1976......it's snowing like you wouldn't believe......we got about 2 ft of snow....temps about 20 degs for several days...
I went the other day to the boat to check on her and the salon is fine..I have a few heaters and dryers...going there...the engine bay I had a magnetic heater on the engine...but forgot about the water tank...
question...does anyone think I'll survive this frozen water tank??...may have some fittings split I think......
anyone got an opinion on how much this is gonna cost me??...
:shock:
SP.

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Depends how much water is in there,i would open all the taps allowing the ice to travel, and break the joints on your water heater you can soon put them back on in spring,apart from that sit and wait.

Have a good christmas steve and a good new year,lets hope next year brings better weather and economy.

(shoot the bankers or should it be @ankers) :twisted:

Old 12-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zt260
Depends how much water is in there,i would open all the taps allowing the ice to travel, and break the joints on your water heater you can soon put them back on in spring,apart from that sit and wait.

Have a good christmas steve and a good new year,lets hope next year brings better weather and economy.

(shoot the bankers or should it be @ankers) :twisted:

yeah...gotta go to the boat and try a few things...thanks for the suggestions.....

don't forget to aim for the jerks in the congress and senate for opening up the treasury for the mass robbing !!!...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 12-28-2008, 03:18 AM   #4
Admiral

well..got a few heaters in the boat and when I pulled out the drawers ..found water ....opened up the bilge and sure nuff...about 15 gals drained from the tank and into the bilge...can't figure out where the leak was from....I'll have to wait till the freeze is over and the water is turned back on so I can pressurize the water system and find the leaks...dang!!.that's pi$$ed me off for my own stupidity!!...can't be mad at anyone but me!!..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 12-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Lieutenant

That really stinks... Especially since you cant blame anyone else, always one of my favorite things to do.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Admiral

yep...I can only claim STOOOPID on myself.

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Admiral

I went to the boat yesterday and did get water into the water tank...only to find that it poured it out as fast as it went in.....the water pump on my boat is located right aft of the two tanks..water and black water tank..it's mounted to the deck.....well..the water froze in the tank ...didn't split the tank since it's such a stout tank...the pump however looks like someone dropped an m80 into the strainer...it's split and at the head of the pump..it cracked there also...
so..off I go to the parts store....stopped at the first one in our town..local chandlery called harbor marine...this place has about everything possible in there...well...I got a jabsco unit for about 120 bucks not counting tax.......of course you have to assemble it and get it prepped for instl...the correct fittings have to be installed...and now all I have to do is set it in place..hook up the 2 water lines...connect the 12vdc wires..and we're done......with that part....then I have to get some water into the tank and find the leak in the salon....once I fix that ...then I have to fix that leak......once that leak is isolated and fixed...I can drain the tank again and this time stick some antifreeze in the water system.......
gotta love being stupid....keeps the manufactures employed....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Admiral

finally fixed my boat last nite after work....of course the pump has been done since last week....but the fitting going to the faucet was leaking...so..hacked that off ...the pipes are the blue and red poly pipes...plastic fitting that screws into the faucet.....
finally got the fitting from harbor marine here in Everett and with some teflon grease smeared on the outside to asisst in sealing the fitting...I slipped the fitting over the pipe....screwed it into the faucet and put about 3 gals of water into the tank...turned the pump on and waited for it to get up to the galley...EUREKA!!!!...water and no leaking...so...finished draining the water system and all the lines....put the galley back together....reduced the number of heaters in the salon to dry things out...and put the boat to bed...she's gonna stay sleeping till we get above 45 degs for a few weeks...which probably won't be till march!!.....

next yr I'll do a proper winterizing...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

I feel for you. Last year I forgot to take the bottom hoses off of my manifolds and got to buy new manifold this last spring. 300.00 lesson I wont forget again.