Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Fresh water pump

Hi here and pardon the newbee question.
Just took ownership of a 1999 3000 Maxum and hooked it up to shore water. I noticed that when I threwe the water pump switch, nothing happened. so here we go with the questions:
- Does the pump not turn on because I attacched to shore water?
- Is there a switch to throw in the helm or elsewhere beside the galley to torn ob before the pump should work?
- Does the mere fact that I hooked up to shore water fill the hot watter tank as well as the fresh water tank?

Sorry for the basics. And I will have more!

doctorroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:34 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I believe when hooked up to city water supply the electric water pump should be left off. At least that is how it works on my boat. Also a good idea to turn city water off when you are not on the boat. I am pretty sure city water will fill water heater but not the tank.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:37 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome aboard!

When using shore water the pump should be bypassed and no need to turn it on. The pump is only for away from shore and runs on 12VDC. I would trace the water line to see where it connects. Tracing the hose will answer your other questions. Shore water typically wasn’t a factory install in smaller boats so who knows how it was connected.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
Ensign

Great. Thanks, so there must be a filler soomewhere along the side. I see the dual gas and the waste pumpout.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:02 AM   #5
Ensign

Yep, good idea.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:16 AM   #6
Admiral

You may not have a shore connection for a hose and if not there is a deck plate labeled water which is where you fill the fresh water tank.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:51 AM   #7
Ensign

I have a shore connection, but I will also look for a freshwater deck fill. Sure hope that there is one.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
Captain

Water fill should be on the stbd side midships.
It’s on the side of the gunnel, the fill on the deck in about the same location is the stbd fuel tank.

As mentioned previously, city water was not a factory install, so the advice on tracing the lines is on point. For reference, mine goes from a inlet/regulator on the stern, thru a hose to a tee in the pumps output hose. There is a check valve as well between the tee and the pump to stop flow back thru the pump.

From there, all water circuits have pressure including the hot water heater. No need to turn on pump switch when connected to city water.

I also installed a ball valve on the tank inlet (midship bilge) that has a hose running back to the ER and tees into the main city water inlet line. This allows me to fill the onboard tank without using the deck fill. I haven’t seem many people do that part.

Note: I’ve also installed a shutoff valve/quick disconnect to the end of the dock hose to allow me to disconnect quickly, but more importantly, have a shutoff onboard in case someone opens the valve on the pedestal by mistake. I don’t leave boat with city water on.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorroe View Post
I noticed that when I threw the water pump switch, nothing happened. so here we go with the questions:
Quote:
- Does the pump not turn on because I attached to shore water?
Correct. The city water system T's in AFTER the pressure pump. The pressure pump is actuated by a pressure switch. When the faucets are closed, the pump runs until the water pressure in the lines exceeds the psi of the pressure switch. Once this is done, the pump turns off. When you open a faucet, the psi drops the switch closes the circuit and the pump turns back on again.

With city water connected to the shore water connection and turned on, because the line T's after the pump, the city water is pressurizing the water system and preventing the psi's from dropping enough to turn on the pump. Turn the pump off when connected to shore (city) water

NOTE: Turn the city water off when you're away from the boat. The volume of the shore water is far greater than all of you bilge pumps combined.

Quote:
- Is there a switch to throw in the helm or elsewhere beside the galley to torn ob before the pump should work?
The pressure pump should have a red lighted switch, usually in the galley. It has an ATC (blade) fuse in the fuse bus under the helm. It requires that the battery switch be on.

Quote:
- Does the mere fact that I hooked up to shore water fill the hot water tank as well as the fresh water tank?
No, it does not fill the tank. It T's in after the pressure pump. The outlet on the pressure pump should have a check valve to prevent water from backflowing from the lines into the pump. The water tank is only filled from the Water deckplate.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
Ensign

Woww, thank you all for giving me this great info! I will fill the freshwater tank and unplug the main water and test all.

AND shutoff feed when not in use! :-)