Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
Commander

Default First San Juan Trip. Suggestions?

My wife and I are taking our maiden voyage to the San Juans soon and would love to hear the ONE spot that we cannot miss. What are your suggestions of that one special place that you just must see? I know there are tons of them so that is why we are asking for suggestions. Also, in planning our departure to coincide with slack tide at Deception Pass, how long should it take to get from the salt water side of the locks in Seattle to the Pass? We have a 2001 2500 SCR with a 5.7 Mercruiser, if that helps tell you our cruising speed.

I cant wait to see all the wonderful suggestions and we will be sure to post pictures upon our return in a few short weeks.

Thanks all.

Rich and Darby

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: First San Juan Trip. Suggestions?

Hi rich
the san juans are awesome to go too....there is to much to see and do there that it isn't funny....it really depends on what you want to do up there....if you want a nice time and to be treated well when you dock...roche harbor is a must.......friday harbor is definitely nice but sometimes they stick you way out on h-dock or g-dock..plenty of restaurants and shops to check out but one heckuva walk if your out on the end....

...deer harbor is good....but gets breezy at times.....

lopez island is ok. but they were having water issues and in serious need to remodel and repair..the showers are across the road and can run out of hot water quickly...(I hate a cold shower)....

if you like quiet and peaceful well protected marina...check out blakely island marina.....definitely very nice but under new management...the sunsets are un -be-frickin-believable.....one of my most favorite places up there....those are the main places to go.....my favorites....

it will take you approx 4-5 hrs depending on what route you take ....if you go from the locks and head due north....striaght up admiralty inlet...it will take you slightly less but the ride can get ugly.....so...you will need to time your trip to beat the winds.....if you come up from the locks and head up the east coast of whidbey island...it will take approx 3 hrs from everett...1.25 hrs from the locks to everett and then 3 north to the SJ's....I'm assuming a cruise speed of apprx. 30 mph.......

now...going thru deception pass is best run (if you've never done it) at slack...but.....I've run it at full tilt or at slack..doesn't matter with a pwr boat....the main thing is to watch for logs....tons of logs....but....if the tide is running at full tilt....just kick your pwr up a bit....stay in the middle....listen on 16 for a security call for anything large wanting to make a pass thru....then aim for the middle and drive around the whirl pools........sometimes a whirl pool will hold a log down and when you go over it and disrupt one...a log that was being held down by the whirl pool will shoot up and nail your boat....overall it's easy....keep your eyes open and watch for other fishermen trying to catch that big salmon or something...don't worry about depth.....it's over a hundred feet in the middle.....
if it's slack tide....it's a piece of cake to drive thru......no kidding..I love going thru deception pass....if I have my druthers between la conner and deception pass...I'll take deception pass every time......

now...crossing the channel from deception pass..I like to go thru san juan pass...which is by compass reading ...about 280 magnetic ..so ..once you clear the island outside from deception pass....make a course for 280 degs and aim for the pass....once thru you make a quick left turn and go past the channel marker ....DO NOT CUT THE MARKER....it marks some rocks.......then make a turn towards north and your now inside the san juan islands....usually very protected water and smooth..enjoy the ride...follow your gps to one of the 4 places I recommended and you will have fun......at dangerous pass....watch for ferries....but it's all good....

if you go further south ..you can enter cattle pass but it gets rough there.....then you can turn right and head towards lopez islander marina or friday harbor to the left....or further is roche harbor.......it's faster into the islands from deception pass to the sj's..but for me...not as much fun.....

hope this helps....enjoy...take lotsa pic's...

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
Commander

SP,

WOW! Thanks!!! We are planning on 7 days so we will definitely make these stops. We are also going to hit Sucia, probably Shallow Bay, as we have heard that is spectacular as well. Wow. Got to say that again. Appreciate your advice, as always.

I will post a few pics and shoot you an email with the entire album (if you want to see it, of course).

Cheers!

Rich
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
Admiral

of course I'd love to see pic's.......!!...listen...if your able to use your passport...take a run up into canada....there are several cool places and some real trashy places to go......stop in at poets cove and check into canada customs and stay the nite....then run up to otter bay...very nice place but gets rocked by the ferry......

another place to definitely try is Brentwood bay marina.....this place is awesome..plus your on the back side of Buchardt gardens......

but roche harbor is good cuz there is a nice walk up to the musoleum....food is excellent....service is awesome..and great place to relax....

when are you going??..

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote