Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Fire Extinguishers

Hi All,

I have a couple of fire extinguishers on the boat but they're not mounted yet. I was wondering if anyone could give their opinion on the best location to mount them. Logically, I'd like one at the cockpit and one just at the top of the stairs as you go down into the salon but I can't find a location where it would be accessible without being at risk of getting knocked off its holder accidently. The boats a 2900SCR. Thanks in advance.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

The holder should have a strap on it as well. It would be quite a task to knock one off the wall. I have one at the helm next to the steps for the through windshield and one on the wall above the settee which is directly behind you if you're standing at the galley. The idea is to put them in a spot that is accessible without having to reach through potential firesources. Yes a few people bump their head on the extinguisher when they sit in that one seat. There's only 2 of us, so I don't ever find in my way.

For example, at the back of the galley counter is a bad spot since a potential fire source would be your stove in teh galley. This would require that, in the event of a galley fire, you have to reach through the fire to get your extinguisher. the same goes for in the engine compartment. This is the likely location for a fuel based fire. You don't want to crawl into the burning engine compartment to obtain the extinguisher. The one at my helm is within helm reach and can hit the enigne bay or the cabin hatch. I also have an auotmatic system in the engine compartment as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote