Old 05-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Ensign

Question Feedback and Insight Needed: Looking at a 1996 32' Maxum SCR

We have had a few smaller board and are looking to again get on the water with our two young teenage kids -- Found a 1996 32' Maxum SCR

Some of the specs --
Twin 350ci Mercruiser 5.7 L Bravo 2 outdrive. Both engines have been replaced with new long blocks, not rebuilds. Port engine 200 hrs. Starboard 20 hrs. Manifolds 3 yrs. old, new impellers 2014, new remote oil lines, new prop and hub

We went to look over the weekend - asking price is $23,500 -- Few items that we noticed and wanted to reach out to the Maxum community for some feedback and guidance --

We noticed water stains in a few areas - hoping that someone can give some thoughts as to where the water could be coming from -- And how concerning is this....Everything is dry now because it's been out of the water for several months --

1. Floor of the AFT Cabin is pretty stained - there was another carpet over it -- We were told that while the boat sat last season that the shower and AC bilge backed up and the pump was replaced

2. Some staining just under the winder in the aft cabin -- don't think coming from the window because it's about 2 inches below the window if that makes sense.

3. In the front birth there looks like some staining on the starboard ceiling

4. The ceiling just as you go into the front birth there looks like some staining right in the center of the ceiling

The other more cosmetic issues are:
- The deck canopy and glass covering the stern will need to be replaced - estimating about $3,000 to replace

- upholstery will need to be redone on the top and underneath it was redone with leather -- not the greatest quality -- few tears already - Estimating about $2,500 to replace/repair

- Other -- Other minor fix-it, etc. $1,000

Owner said that he will work with us on price -- Looks like blue book value is $17,500 low and $22,500 high --

Any feedback and insight would be appreciated!

Freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard Freebird!!

Moved the thread from Introductions to General.

In this year range boat, expect there to be various leaks around areas where there are holes in the deck (e.g. rail stanchions, cleats, rub rail, hatches). Staining is tell-tale.

I suggest you have the boat surveyed and seatrialed.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks shrew! We are planning on both for sure! Do you think a Haul survey is needed in this size boat? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

Water stains are typically leaks around deck hardware as shrew said.

yes have it pulled to check condition of the outdrives, bellows, slop in steering ... these can add up in costs to repair.

You may want to spend the money on a survey else you can be stuck with $$$'s in repairs.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
Captain

The aft cabin floor is an issue in these boats. Mine was completely rotted out, and I had to replace it.

The problem seems to be boats that are dry racked or on lifts. The aft cabin is connected to the aft bilge. The owner statement about the shower sump concerns me, because that is in the forward bilge.

When the boat sits level or bow down on a rack, water from the aft bilge flows forward, wetting that floor.

There is a thread on here somewhere where we discussed the aft floor and solutions.

Now, I might be wrong, I am referring to the layout of a 3000SCR, and not sure if its the same with a 3200.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
Commander

One thing to check for is the transom steering smoothness. Disconnect the outdrives from the steering assembly inside the bilge. Its quite easy, just a few cotter pins to pull out. Then for each drive, grab the arm and push both to port and to starboard. It should move smoothly. If you feel a small bump, that's a sign of wear and that part is *not* easy to replace. Usually requires the pulling of the motor and disassembly of the transom.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:56 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Also something to look for that causes the water marks in the aft cabin is the A/C condensate. .... On my 95' 3200 SCR Maxum had the condensate tray just dumping into the inside of the hull, it would then run down thru the stringer drains into the at cabin for where it was supposed to be pumped out by the bilge pump in the at cabin floor. ... except the lady I bought the boat from ALWAYS had the aft cabin bed made up so she didn't know the bilge pump died which thru the course of the summer with the AC running all the time it flooded the floor! I Rerouted the AC Pan drain into the shower sump where it should have been all along and no more water in that aft cabin bilge!
0Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Ensign

Thanks for all your great feedback. The owner is getting it bottom painted this week and hopefully in the water soon.

Have another question - how important is it to have a generator?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Captain

Having a generator was a requirement for me. Its up to you, and how you use the boat.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

If you spend a lot of time Anchoring or on a mooring ball then you would need a genny.... If you spend most of your time at marinas it not important.
0Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:21 AM   #11
Lt. Commander

I don't have a built in gennie so I bought a 3500w gen and it powers everything including ac. Sams club generator $299.00 runs over 8hrs on 1 tank of fuel.
96 3200scr
Old 05-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
Lt. JG

As far as a gen set, the Honda 2000 is a great little portable unit. About the most quiet you can get. Bump up to the 3000 for more power. The extra money for a Honda is worth it.

Leaks are a pain, but not uncommon. The sealant around the rub rail begins to separate over time, same with deck hatches, bow eye, radar arch.

Survey is a good investment.

Life is short, boats are cool.
itsabowtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
Captain

Around here, there are a lot of places that do not have power, and do not permit you to run an air cooled generator, nor can you cook on a grill. Therefore, I had to have a watercooled. Just something to think about when you consider your boating destinations.

Also, there are many stories out there about people losing their generators when swim platform was swamped by a wave.