Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Everett to Friday Harbor

Well, it's early winter and I can't wait to get the boat back out on the water. Once it warms up a bit, I'd like to try taking the family up to Friday Harbor from Everett.

The last time we spent a couple nights up there, we trailered up to Anacortes because of the late start and daylight window. This time I'd like to launch in Everett.

I was wondering if most people prefer to go up the west side of Whidbey Island, or if it's advisable to do the east side and go through Deception Pass (when the tide is right)?

Hope everybody has a fun and safe new year!

-Greg

Old 12-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Lt. JG

I have done the trip from Edmonds in my 2100 SC. We went up on the east side and through LaConner just because the wife wanted to,,,,,, Return trip was on the west side of Widbey since the weather was GREAT. You should of course always check the forecast, but with the additional length you have compared to my old one (just upgraded to a 2700 SCR) i think you should have a great trip. Just keep an eye out for the container ships :-)

Happy cruising.

Nils

dragoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Admiral

well..if your heading up from Everett..it will take about 3 hrs to go thru deception pass..across Rosario and then into lopez pass...up the channel between the islands...and up to friday harbor...
I've done it so many times....but going the west side of whidbey island would involve arguing with the tankers and container ships ....it gets snotty as hell running that way...personally I love going thru deception....laconner is alot of no wake zones and gets crazy with some boaters not knowing which side of the channel to steam on....but it's still the most protected.....

just my 2 braincells firing off...when are you going??...

SP arrr
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks for the input.

No particular date set, just getting ready to go when the weather improves and the kids get new life jackets :-)
With a 5 month old and a 1 year old...have to get them used to going boating soon!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Admiral

Talking

well..stay in touch..memorial weekend we're headed up to roche harbor..great place for the kids..they even have a pool for the kids....lots to do and see...your welcome to tag along when we go..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
well..if your heading up from Everett..it will take about 3 hrs to go thru deception pass..across Rosario and then into lopez pass...up the channel between the islands...and up to friday harbor...
I've done it so many times....but going the west side of whidbey island would involve arguing with the tankers and container ships ....it gets snotty as hell running that way...personally I love going thru deception....laconner is alot of no wake zones and gets crazy with some boaters not knowing which side of the channel to steam on....but it's still the most protected.....
r
+1

Deception is the route we take too. I would shoot for slack tide the first couple of times through and watch for fishing nets strung nearly the entire width of the channel on the East side of the pass. Keep your eyes peeled for debris if you're running against a fast tide. The eddies may spin logs a bit, just give things a wide berth and enjoy the beautiful view.

...and like you, we are chomping at the bit to get back out there! REALLY looking forward to it.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote