Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Ethanol Gas Cures?

I just had two carburetors rebuilt. The problem was bad gas probably caused by E-10. I had performance issues during the summer so it's not a storage problem. The engine would "bog-out" (hesitate) when throttling up. Now that I've got two clean carburetors can anyone recommend a good additive to deal with ethanol problems? I read one member swearing by SeaFoam. Any opinions on SeaFoam, Stabil, StarTron, etc? Do any of these make a difference?

Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
Commander

I use Star Tron. It seems to work well.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Admiral

either one will work well....but make sure it's specifically for e10 use....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

If E10 is causing your carbs heartburn I don't think an additive will help. The ethanol in E10 is what attacks the rubber components in carbs - particuarly older carbs. Therefore, unless the additive some how converts that ethanol into something else - which it doesn't, I can't see how it could protect the rubber bits, regardless of what the additive makers claim.

In your case - the bog, which I would guess was happening when you started to open the throttles, was probably caused by the rubber cup on the accelerator pump(s) having deteriorated. If the accel pump can't deliver that necessary initial shot the air/gas ratio goes lean - bog. A bog like that can just as easily be caused by incorrect ignition timing - which is often mis-diagnosed as a carb problem.

The E10 may have casused it, but it could also be simple coincidence; the carbs needed rebuilding anyway.

A new carb rebuild kit should contain parts that are not as affected by E10.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Default Ethanol

Thanks for the advice. The Carburetor repair shop's business is booming with rebuilds. Ethanol issues mostly. When E-10 deteriorates, the gas leaves "brownish residue" in the carburetor (which was my problem). The shop recommended that I burn off the existing gas quickly and try some Star Tron the first fill-up. I'll see the results in early May....
Old 04-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Talking Ethanol Is To Blame

Fellow Boaters-

The fact is the ethanol does deteriate the internal rubber components of a carb. Those who have EFI engines don't have the worry. What is really scary is they (Obama's EPA) is pushing for E-15 which will have even further damaging effects. Most boats have built in gasoline tanks made from fiberglass. E-15 ethanol will turn those tanks into sponges. So a lot of boaters need to be concerned! The NMMA has been doing it's best the alert boat owners of this issue and the need to stop it in it's tracks. My '92 1800SR with the 3.0L has suffered from the ill effects of E-10 so I don't even want to think of the consequences of E-15. Everyone should be contacting there reps & senators ASAP. Also, the EPA is going around Congress (no thanks to Obama) and implimenting regulations all over without Congress approval. It may be too late if we don't act with an overwhelming response.
Dean (deanries) "Go Big or Go Home"
deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

We had several boats with fiberglass gas tanks ruined at my marina. They had to be replaced. Luckily my tank is aluminum, I had enough fun with the Carburetors. E -15? That wouldn't be good.....
Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Commander

I think you can get a water fuel filter for ethanol fuels ????I refuse to use it unless I burn it up quick a week or so.

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote