Old 06-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Electric

Hi I'm new to this type of boating, just got a 1900sc 2001 4.3 took it out for the first time I knew the taco was not working and have been given some pointers on that but now the fuel gauge is bouncing and the trim gauge whent from fully down to reading fully up, when we got it out also found the trim tabs have stopped working, I think I have a earth problem where should I look thanks

Tynewydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
Admiral

The trim gauge is for the position of the drive tilt. Typically when it stops works it’s do to broken wires on the sender which is on the side of the gimbal ring. Boat fuel gauges are seldom accurate and as the fuel level goes down it gets worse from the fuel sloshing in the tank. On plane the fuel runs to the back of the tank making it look like you have more fuel then when you slow down it gets more level and is more accurate.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
Captain

Given your trim tabs aren’t working, in addition to the gauge issues, I’d start at the battery, checking connections for both positive and ground (earth). Work your way out from there.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
Given your trim tabs aren’t working, in addition to the gauge issues, I’d start at the battery, checking connections for both positive and ground (earth). Work your way out from there.
Technology earth ground requires a rod driven into the earth which is not possible on a boat or any other moving vehicle. Cars use a chassis ground but boats are made of fiberglass so that’s not possible. The poster needs to check both positive and negative connections.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote