Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default EGO Power instead of Gas Generator??

I have a 2900SE and have been researching generator options. Lots of gas options (Honda and Yamaha gold-standards out there but double the cost of a Firman which is what I'd buy if going gas).

Has anyone considered or installed an EGO Lithium-Ion system instead?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego...ery/1001384500

Obviously a long re-charge cycle but I have room in front of my engines (there's a platform for where a factory gen may go) and wondering if it could be hard-wired both to supply and to re-charge.

Twice the cost of gas-gens (initially) but no emissions issues.

Really interested if anyone has gone this way

Kawartha Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

It's just a portable battery. You'd be better off installing a larger house battery bank. There is a difference between generating power and drawing power. You're attempting to address the problem of needing to generate power by proposing a solution that simply allows you to draw more power. Not the same thing. Transferring from one battery to another is not generating power.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks Shrew - I'm more looking at this vs a gas generator which, as you noted, is just drawing non-renewable power, not banking it. I need to use my A/C and other power on over-nighters and I don't see a bigger battery bank + inverter being able to meet these requirements (unless I am missing something).

So, a generator is what I need - gas is the norm, but loud and emissions issues, hence the potential appeal of the EGO's (downside is recharge time and availability of power on a trip)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #4
Lt. JG

If anyone has an issue similar to this thread, I ended up buying a Honda EU 2200 (more expensive, but they are bullet-proof) gas generator. The recharge-able electrics (EGO) at Home Depot have come a long way but have a very long way to go yet.

I have a 30' Maxum 2900 SE with a 16,000 BTU A/C. Most threads on this and other sites will tell you a Honda 2200 could never power an A/C unit like that and that you will need to go bigger. They are all wrong. Easily powers it whilst at the same time running a fan, the battery charger and a small shop-VAC.

Don't necessarily listen to the self-appointed BS-experts. What I did was run my 30Amp pigtail adapter (which you will need anyway) to a 120V standard 3-prong, wall plug to my shore-power. Fired-up the A/C and a number of appliances. Worked fine. If the 120V output of the wall adapter will drive your unit, so will most stock 1800-2200W power-inverter/gens.

Again, ignore the self-appointed BS-experts and try it yourself, then buy the right-sized Gen for you. For me, it was the more expensive Honda but my second choice was a (more powerful) Generac 3000i with the added bonus of the 30Amp twist lock. To me the reliability of the Honda won out, despite the extra cost which I am not entirely convinced is worth it, but Honda has the rep.

Lastly, if you're really concerned about the load surge when you start you A/C, get a $30 (less in the US, we get hammered on everything in Canada) hard start Supco kit from Amazon to address the starting torque, and your problem will be solved. I may get one, though I am not experiencing any start issues now with the set-up I have now.https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1
Old 07-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Update - Ok, ok - listen to the self-appointed experts. The Honda couldn't cut it consistently (to many BTU's) so fortunately the dealer accepted it back - would recommend Honda's for this reason, they stand behind their products. Unfortunately, the next Honda model up, too expensive and too large. So went with the Generac i3000 with power surge and its seems to be doing just fine but I also installed a Supco SPP8E hard start kit, which for $40 bucks I think is worth it, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still not sure why they installed such a monster of an A/C unit on this thing, but it does make for an ice cold cabin when I want it.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawartha Cruiser View Post

Don't necessarily listen to the self-appointed BS-experts.
I was going to mention that you would more than likely need an "EasyStart" to handle the start-up load of anything over a 5K unit. But didn't want to risk being labelled a self-appointed BS Expert.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

I'm glad you figured it out.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Good one (and point taken) - I wasn't referring to your advice with that comment, and regret if you took it that way. I actually did decide vs the EGO in favour of the gas-gen, the rechargeable technology isn't quite there yet, is very expensive, and takes a long time to recharge.

The Supco is working, and was cheap but if it craps-out, I will look into an Easystart which may be more robust than what i used, but for $40-bucks it was a good investment.