Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Economic Stimulus - New Boat

Well I have done my best to stimulate the boating industry.

My wife and I signed papers yesterday for a '09 Bayliner 340. We are very excited. It is not a done deal yet until all of the paperwork gets processed and the loan is approved, etc. But we are not anticipating any problems with all of that stuff.

We have just returned from cleaning out all of our stuff from the Maxum. Kinda of sad to see her go after all of the work we have put into her. Hopefully she will find a good home. She is supposed to get picked up from the marina and taken away in the next day or two.

I think the worse part is that I will be out of town when the B340 arrives at the dealer. I really would have liked to be there to witness the unveiling from the shrink wrap. But as I have to work in order to pay for the beast, I will have to settle for pictures.

While we wait for the big day, we are spending our time trying to figure out a name for the new boat. This might be the hardest part. :!:

- 2004 Maxum 2400 SD (traded in August '09)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Economic Stimulous - New Boat

Oh man dave!!...how I can relate!!....as you know we just did the same thing...bought a 340....your gonna love this thing!!..big..roomy....and friggin fast!!!.....what engines/drives/floor layout??.....ours is the long settee in the salon....ton's of room in the engine bay!!...Congrats and give me a hollar if you need some pointers....going from a single to a twin is ...um..how shall I say it...white knuckled to say the least...hemmingways..Congrats and post pic's man!!..

SP irate: arrrrrrrr

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Default Re: Economic Stimulous - New Boat

Thanks for the congrats and the offer to pick your brain more than I already have.

We had trouble finding an '08 as it seems the rebate program has done its work over the past several months. But there were 4 brand new '09s still shrink wrapped and sitting in Arlington, WA. So we had our choice of those.

I guess Arlington isn't too far from you. The place is right on the East side of the airport. I am not sure if that is a factory or just a holding yard. I am a bit nervous about the boat making it all of the way across the country to FL in one piece!!

We wouldn't have picked some of the options on the boat if it had been a custom order. But as we had to pick from what was available, we ended up pretty loaded out. Black topsides, Seacore 350 Mags and B3 drives, Axius, V-berth layout, Sirius Radio, fire supression, vacuflush, preff equip pkg (cockpit frig, foredeck cushions, etc), macerator, Nav pack, a/c, genny.

Of course the rebate for the '09s is about half of the '08 rebate so we didn't make out as well as you did as far as that goes. But with the dealer still struggling to move boats, I believe he was right down as far as he could go. We got about what I expected we would for the trade in. Of course that is always lower than hoped. But it is easier to take a hit of a couple of thousand on the trade rather than have it sit in used boat ads for months on end trying to sell it myself.

An interesting side note: Our dealer had met with the US Marine regional distributor last week and he was told that the 340 is finished. At least for a while. Our dealer was told that there will be no 340 production in 2010. We will have to wait and see if that is actually what comes to pass. He was also told that not much of any model is being built right now as they wait for more inventory to flush out.

Anyhow, we are happy and excited for the new toy. I will post pics in a few weeks after she arrives.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Admiral

Default Re: Economic Stimulus - New Boat

sounds like you got option 2 on the 340's...we got the serpentine seating in the salon...genny...350mag/b3/seacore....lowerance gps/fish....ac/heat....remote stereo's....taunu cover (sp)..windlass...vacuflush....full up canvas...sunpad (aka bimbo pad) on the bow.....etc..etc...I installed a tv in the midberth....got them to install the ..I'm going to add carpeting for the swim step...and some step lights (led) next weekend......we also got black/black and hull paint..I don't know if your aware of this boat;s capability..but ..this boat at wot is a 50 mph boat...we cruise really nicely at about 30 mph.....very comfortable at 30mph....we can go all the way up from Everett to Friday harbor on 1/4 tank of gas...thats incredible concidering where I boat......engines are the type that you don't add throttle ...just turn the key and wait for about 5 sec...then hit the starter...engine fires right up ....idles nicely all the way out.....oh yeah...I also added the bennett auto trim tabs...really nice addition........
yeah...I heard that the inventory is still high right now and none of them are scheduled to be built new...
really though...when the boat comes...work up a punch list (and your gonna have one for sure)...get those items repaired right off...then you will really see how much this boat is fun...
one problem I had was the shifters were incredibly tight...going in and out of gear was a muscle man's job...once the mech. re-routed the cables and did some adjusting..they slip right into gear now.......let me know if you need anything else.....be happy to compare boats....

SP :mrgreen:
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
She is supposed to get picked up from the marina and taken away in the next day or two.
Dave,

If I may inquire. Where is your trade being picked up and delivered to? The reason I ask is because I bought a boat without a trailer. And, I am wondering if I wanted to buy a new boat from a dealer that was not local to me (there is only one Bayliner dealer in MD) how I would ever get my trade to that dealer. Also, how did you get a trade-in value for your used boat if the dealer was not local to see it?

Thanks,

Frank
ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Admiral

lee...when I traded my 2700scr in..I didn't have a trailer either....the dealership came out and picked it up with a trailer of thiers and towed it back up to bellingham wa.....if they want your boat..they will come and get it...believe me....as for the trade in value....they will send an appraiser out at thier expense and evaluate the boat..then make an offer for trade in...

SP :hello:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee
Quote:
She is supposed to get picked up from the marina and taken away in the next day or two.
Dave,

If I may inquire. Where is your trade being picked up and delivered to? The reason I ask is because I bought a boat without a trailer. And, I am wondering if I wanted to buy a new boat from a dealer that was not local to me (there is only one Bayliner dealer in MD) how I would ever get my trade to that dealer. Also, how did you get a trade-in value for your used boat if the dealer was not local to see it?

Thanks,

Frank
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Our 2400 SD was picked up yesterday afternoon and taken away. Our dealer is local. About 60 miles from where we kept the boat. They had a few empty trailers sitting around their yard so they just took one of those up to get the boat.

We were actually working a bit with a dealer in Houston TX that had a B340 equiped like we wanted. We had it set up for them to truck the B340 to FL and then put our 2400 SD on the same trailer to truck it back to Houston. The "Capt" at the dealer was going to fly to FL to deliver/commision the boat and spend several days with us to go over it and then fly home. So anything is possible if they want to sell a boat. As it turned out, our local dealer could get a B340 delivered from the factory so that was a better option for us.

If you need to ship a boat yourself, http://www.uship.com is a good option. That is how we got the 2400 SD shipped from Miami, where we bought it. You submit what you want to ship and different haulers bid on the job.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
I don't know if your aware of this boat;s capability..but ..this boat at wot is a 50 mph boat...we cruise really nicely at about 30 mph

one problem I had was the shifters were incredibly tight...
I was not expecting 50 mph. :!: I was thinking low 40's. That is awesome. I am even more excited now. 30 mph cruise is perfect.

One option I would have liked to have, but wasn't able to get, was the cockpit cover. I am going to have a local canvas guy give us a quote to make one up. After thing settle down a bit, I may look into the auto trim tabs. They sound pretty neat.

I have never used the DTS throttles. But I think those are all electronic, right? At least that is what I am expecting on the boat.

I will give everything a really good inspection. The owner of the dealer ship will be spending one or more days, however long it takes, going through everything with us before cutting us loose. Hopefully most of the issues will surface then so they can be addressed right away.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Admiral

I have a cockpit cover that I will never use!!...it options at 1780 bucks...I'll sell it too you for an offer!!..yes..DTS=digital throttle system...so..if you got it..that's a plus.....mine are just cable type...but it's better now that it's been all adjusted......
for speed..on our 3rd trip out...we had the drives worked on...when I took her out..we pushed her on up and hit 45mph/gps...there was still plenty of throttle left so I backed down to a comfortable cruise of 32 mph/gps....this boat will fly....

let me know if your interested in the cover...

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
I don't know if your aware of this boat;s capability..but ..this boat at wot is a 50 mph boat...we cruise really nicely at about 30 mph

one problem I had was the shifters were incredibly tight...
I was not expecting 50 mph. :!: I was thinking low 40's. That is awesome. I am even more excited now. 30 mph cruise is perfect.

One option I would have liked to have, but wasn't able to get, was the cockpit cover. I am going to have a local canvas guy give us a quote to make one up. After thing settle down a bit, I may look into the auto trim tabs. They sound pretty neat.

I have never used the DTS throttles. But I think those are all electronic, right? At least that is what I am expecting on the boat.

I will give everything a really good inspection. The owner of the dealer ship will be spending one or more days, however long it takes, going through everything with us before cutting us loose. Hopefully most of the issues will surface then so they can be addressed right away.
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Thanks for mentioning the cockpit cover you are willing to sell. I will keep it in mind.

The local canvas guy took measurements of a sister boat today and is working up a quote. I will see where he comes in at.

In any event, I do not beleive that the snaps along the base of the windshield come installed unless the cockpit cover is ordered with the boat So I will have to have someone (him) install the snaps. I am certainly not going to drill into virgin fiberglass myself and mess it up!!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
Admiral

dave..they are drilled into the base of the windscreen.......but let me know...it options out at 1795.00...straight from the factory..not sure if yours will come with it already...but if it doesn't...let me know and we can work a price..

SP irate:

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang