Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Drive Damage - Interesting Development

Ok, so as I have made clear in the past I'm an idiot for the single fact that I commented how well the boat was running. This traversed into the belief my shiftcable was bad which then resulted in my drive being damaged.

During this process I continued to hear from mechanics and others that the Bravo III drive just shouldn't go out without some type of impact. I realized that when I pulled up an anchor line and damaged the prop I just had fixed that it would definately qualify as an impact. That got me to thinking that maybe I should call my insurance agent and discuss whether or not I have coverage for such an incident.

After looking in the mirror and realizing that my agent is an idiot and doesn't know the answer I consulted my policy. Sure enough most all full coverage policies include coverage for impact. Today we were able to definately determine that it was impact that caused the damage as two parts on the gear hub literally where sheered in half.

So it looks as though I'm going to get some assistance on this whole ordeal which is much welcome especially from the Admiral. The plan is to have an upper rebuild and put the lower through a good cleaning.

(continued)

tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Now with that said it brings up another interesting development with my insurance policy. I took the time to read mine again as well as call three different companies that I write boat policies with. All policies exclude things like: Deterioration, lack of maintenance, wear and tear, and specifically failure to winterize. The basic policy also excludes "Mechanical Breakdown".

My policy however had an endorsement that deleted the mechanical breakdown exclusion in the policy. I spoke with some claims folks as well as some underwriting individuals and have found the largest definition gap I've ever seen in the insurance business. My policy has mechanical breakdown coverage but it's not defined nor is it referenced to again. After these conversations I've come to the determination that if ANYTHING fails that has to do with drive, engine, HVAC, plumbing, even fridge that the insurance company would have to PROVE that the damaged occured from an excluded activity for them to deny coverage.

In reality this is a pretty big deal. If you can prove that your equipment is within it's usefull like (aka low hours) and that it was properly maintained then you might just have coverage for some items you wouldn't think about.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Commander

Sounding better, best of luck dealing with Insurance companies
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Sounding better, best of luck dealing with Insurance companies
Well my mantra this entire time has been. "this is what you do for a living, you've given this insurance company a million dollars of premium in the last 8 months. If I have problems then I know who not to send other clients to."

Might have mentioned that to a claims supervisor, an underwriting manager, and a marketing vice presidet.....just maybe.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

By the way - insurance coverage or not the boat is scheduled for re-launch a week from Thursday in time for the month of August. I can't tell you how happy I am with my mechanic who has promised to have me floating next week. Parts ordered today and here is whats getting done.

Upper Bravo III rebuild -smartly paying for the upgraded rebuild gears and parts
Lower Bravo III disassembled and cleaned, all parts polished and checked for integrity.

Both drives removed and: New lower shift cables, U joint bellows, O ring kit, all new lube and alignment.

Also having the solinoids for the trim replaced, bilge pump replaced, new genny impeller and oil change.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleshep View Post
Also having the solinoids for the trim replaced, bilge pump replaced, new genny impeller and oil change.
You ought to have the oil in the Genny engine speed Governor changed too while you are at it. It is very often over looked until they puke from dirty oil. Might even have them change the belts too there cheap enough, or at least a lot cheaper than a bent valves from a broken timing belt-

Westerbeke reccommends every 200 hours. I do it every other year.

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Update:

Parts have been ordered, still being promised water by end of next week. Didn't have the heart to break it to him that I'll be stopping by daily......

Better yet, insurance company called today and claim is approved, check is in the mail. By god I can't fix a boat but atleast I'm good at my job.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Good for you Shep. I ended up with a new drive and no insurance when an oil line blew at the beginning of the season.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote