Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Does anyone know the appx value of a used 1989 15' Maxum is great overall shape?

I am thinking about purchasing a 1989 Maxum 15' 50 HP Force outboard. One owner boat that has been garaged when not in use, so it shows really nice for the age. Compression is good and interior is in excellent shape. No fading. Used only in fresh water. Any ideas on a good price to pay for this boat? I am just looking for something to plug around on the bay during fair weather days. Thanks for your time.

rpaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Captain

hai,

the first maxum i had was one like this you want to buy......but the problem was the motor, idid'nt liked it at all.....it sounded raw and gave me big problems with the compression after a short time....so i quickly decided to buy something with an inboard........

an exeptable price........in america cheap....in holland still 8000 dollar i think

good luck but my advice look a little bit further then the only boat you have seen now and like.....there is more for sale against good prices.

greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Here is what NADA says.

Now with most boats you can take their values with a grain of salt, they are usually off from what's really going on in the market for boats.
With that boat, and that engine, I would think around $2000. Without pictures, and knowing how the stringers and "guts" of the boat look, it's hard to say.
But get the motor checked out by a mechanic. A little cost up front could save you a lot down the road. Force engines are not known to be very reliable, and parts can be expensive. Now if it really was well taken care of, then you may be fine. I'd still have it checked out.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Admiral

first off...welcome to the zoo....2nd..definitely take it to a mechanic and have the engine checked out.....then also have the impeller replaced before you take it out on the water....if it's been sitting for any length of time, the impellers usually dry up and crack when you first start it up....

whatever they are asking for it...cut in half....offer them half of what they think it's worth..the problem is that the boating market is waaaay down still...it's a buyers market.......if the boat checks out..make the offer and let them counter..but stay low......don't be afraid to walk ...but show your serious...

good luck....let us know how it goes..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote