Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default does a hydrofoil really work?

hello, i have a 2006 1800mx and i am considering to buy an SE Sport Hydrofoil and there are many reviews on how it makes there boat slower or even faster at WOT. but each boat is different and my question is has anyone with the same boat as mine ever tried a hydrofoil and if so how good was it. did it make the boat faster, slower did it have better fuel economy, etc.

Thanks

twistable_deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Commander

20 years ago I had one on a Wellcraft 19'. It made it jump on plane a lot quicker and the boat stayed on plane at a slower speed. If cut my top end from a little over 60 MPH to the mid 50's. Fuel consupmtion at cruise (3000 RPM) was slightly better but got was worse above 3600 went up. I only used it when we skied or knee boarded. I kept a philips head and socket handy and would remove or install it in just a few minutes.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Admiral

personally I'd stay away from it for a couple of reasons...it puts a strain on the anticavitation plate.....it can cause corrosion issues from dissimilar metals......
to name a few..
what I'd suggest you put on are the auto trim tabs....they are spring loaded and will auto adjust for different conditions...from others that have had them installed have shown markedly improved performance and they don't affect the top end of the boat....

and..."boat and fuel economy" should never be used in the same sentence....talk about an oxymoron!!!
SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Lt. JG

ya but they cost twice as much
Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Admiral

lets see....auto tabs for twice as much as a dolfin....or.....possible replacement for a lower drive unit for a broken anticavitation plate....????..

your choice

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I put one on my 2001 2900 SCR (single engine with a Bravo III outdrive) and had to admit it got on plane faster. Also added that same weekend was a 120 lb extended swim platform about as far aft as one can put extra weight. While it performs better (getting on plane is the only thing I noticed) I suspect it's also responsible for adding more "torque" to the gimbal pin and ring over the course of a few years which now requires a completely new rebuild transom assembly (translation=$3K+ in off-season expenses). I can't prove it was the cause, but I had to ask myself: "if MerCruiser doesn't 'include' such a simple, inexpensive device like a hydofoil... why not?" Perhaps they know what it can do to the outdrive. Kind of like when I owned a 2001 Camaro SS with the 350CI high-performance Corvette engine in it... it ran like a raped-ape, as fast or faster than a stock Corvette... but none of the other parts ON the Camaro were intended for such an engine. The end-result was I was tearing out clutch plates and rear-differential gears faster than I should have due to them not being as beefy as what a Corvette has/had.

Just an opinion, but nonetheless my winterization marina will be torque-ing down the two bolts that keep the gimble ring/pin snug in the future, you be assured of that!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
Lt. JG

i have been looking at the nauticus start tabs sx series, they go for about $150 and they auto adjust. what do you guys think?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Lt. JG

A buddy of mine had a hydrofoil on his boat, and he had to replace the gimbal bearings. Hoping to learn from other's mistakes, I read some old posts on this forum, and they indicated the same. There was one installed on my '96 1800 SCR when I bought the boat and I removed it before putting it in the water.
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Commander

Deer, there are already several threads on this subject. Do a quick search of the forum.

Here's one you may find particularly applicable:

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...light=nauticus

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Commander

I tried the SmartTabs on a Regal 6.8 and even though it helped get on plain slightly faster it did reduce my top end. The cheap little spring loaded struts also failed in less than a year. Smart tabs will not balance a boat either as both are always pushing down on the water. And they are sticking down below the hull when reversing. IMHO, I know we all have them (lol), save the money for some adjustable Bennett tabs. You can deploy them to help get on plain, adjust to level a load and retract when you are running fast. I've tried the cheap route before and I wish I could get my money back.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote