Old 04-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Dinghy davit

I would like to install some Weaver dinghy snap davits on our 2400 SCR. Right now I have the black water, water and hot water tanks out to do some other work so this would be the easiest time to access the stock swim grid from the engine compartment. Has anyone installed these and if so exactly where and how far apart did you mount them? We have a 240 inflatable.

postie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:46 AM   #2
Lt. JG

I just have bought (10 days) a 2400 with the davits installed already. I can snap a few pictures for you if you want.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

LexiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:17 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks. I would appreciate a couple of photos.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:24 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie View Post
Thanks. I would appreciate a couple of photos.
My apologies for the delay! It is 10:20 PM and I just finished with the boat for today and that is because I have to wait until the silicone sets, otherwise I would be working another one and a half hour.

Here are the pictures. Please let me know if they don't make sense and you want me to take another set of pictures. I have the black water tank out so I can get to the very end of the transom.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
Captain

Does your inflatable already have the pads glued on or is this a fresh install?
Although Weaver’s instructions say to locate the swim platform brackets first, I found locating the pads on the dink first to be the better approach. Then determining where on the Typically, you identify the locations on the dinghy first and then transfer the positions to the swim platform for the mating brackets. If dink already has the pads glued on, then you have to go by their locations to attach the boat side brackets.
My dink had lifeline supports, oarlocks etc that restricted where the Davies could be installed, hence looking at the dink-side first. Note: Th brackets may not wind up being symmetrical on the boat. To get the best support and position the dink sided to side properly, mine are offset a few inches.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks for the pictures LexiP.

jparsons121... I do not have the pads on the dinghy yet....fresh install. Yes it would probably be easier to put them on the dinghy first. That way you can put them so they would not interfere with oar locks or lifting rings if the mounts were put on the transom first.
The main issue is access to the swim grid via the engine compartment. I need to be able to get in there to put backing plates and nuts on. I am 6`4"...250 lbs. Even with the tanks all out right now it is a tight squeeze! In order to put the boat in the water to "line" up all the brackets and mounts I would have to at a minimum put the hot water tank back in. That said it would be difficult guessing the height where the dingy would actually float next to the swim grid sitting on our trailer. If I try and do it that way I may not position the dingy mounts at the right angle. A pain either way.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:36 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie View Post
Even with the tanks all out right now it is a tight squeeze!
There is no way to get it done without taking the tanks out. But since you got yours out I would recommend laying down on your back in the space of the water tank and the heater and move into the back of the boat. On another hand, I don't think there is much to do except holding a wrench while someone else tightens the bolt on the brackets.

On another note, mine davits are installed more to the starboard so there is another free space to walk off the boat on the through the gate on the port without taking the dingy out.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
Lt. JG

I am going to need to extend the davits outward a bit. I have cut some plastic board to do this. They need some further trimming after I have the boat in the water to make sure of the positioning of davits and pads. The pads on the dinghy are just in a rough position for now but I will have to remove one of the forward lifting attachments on the dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
20210502_110238.jpg  
Old 05-04-2021, 01:09 AM   #9
Captain

I positioned the pads on the dink lower, which allow them to extend past the curve of the tube and align better with the height of the latch on the boat side.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:17 AM   #10
Lt. JG

That's where they will probably go on ours too. They are not attached yet. I am going to wait until I float the boat and have better idea of where to position them. Just have the dinghy on a couple of 45 gal drums on the hard right now.
Pretty sure at least one tie off pad on the dinghy will have to be removed Never done this before. Any tips from anyone the best way to remove them?
Old 07-11-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
Lt. JG

I have just finished mounting the dinghy davits. I know that longer davit mounts are available but I was able to buy a used set including the unused pads for the dinghy for $100. I had to come up with a method to mount them. I now need to find a way to carry a 3.5 hp. auxiliary engine for the dinghy. Any suggestions on how to carry or mount this?
Attached Thumbnails
20210710_151854.jpg   20210710_151843.jpg  
Old 07-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #12
Lt. JG

I think I have come up with a way to carry the motor for our dinghy. I used an old outboard bracket I had and a piece of aluminum tubing. It is mounted using a bracket I made to the handrail. I tried to make sure that as much weight as possible was supported by the swim grid.
The tongue weight on the trailer went from 528 lbs down to 484 lbs with the dinghy and motor mounted. I think this is still within acceptable parameters.
Attached Thumbnails
20210724_184657.jpg   20210724_180709.jpg