Old 07-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Differences: SCR vs SE in the 30' range?

Hi,

Newbie question here. I'm looking at cruisers in the 30+ foot range and saw the 3100 and 3300's. Both look nice nice boats (I've been aboard the 3100 SCR, too). My question is: what are the main differences? I'm asking more about early 2000's era boats. From what I can tell, the SE has a V berth bunk that doubles as a bed, whereas the SCR V berth is a fixed bunk. Is that correct? What are the other differences?

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm new to Maxum and boating so I'm starting with zero knowledge.

Thanks!

Steve

sacooper321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Ensign

I guess I should clarify that question. I'm looking to understand the differences between the SE and the SCR, not between the 3100 and 3000... thx

Old 07-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Lieutenant

take a look at the documents section and you will see the manuals and the layouts. i have never seen a se. i have a 3300 scr and have been on 3000s and 3700s. I think there was a huge advantage of the 3700 over the 3300 in terms of design.

my 3300 does not have a genertor and that impacts me on longer or overnight trips. many 3300 owners i know primarily sleep in the aft berth instead of v berth.

maybe if you can say what you think your use will be and how many people in family or on boat that help out with the conversation.
(No Gen, no A/C)
Skip R Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Ensign

They sleep in the aft, huh? That's good to know. I guess one could take that to mean the v berth is too small for comfortable 2-up sleeping? Do you sleep back there, too?

After some additional research on my part (and thanks for the tip on the manuals section, I didn't know it was there. Definitely worth checking out!)

Here's a 3100SE, by the way.

Used 2004 Maxum 3100 Se, Deale, Md - 20751 - BoatTrader.com

I'm looking at a lot of things. Maxum, Chaparral and Sea Ray lead the pack. My intent is for recreational use, cruising the Chesapeake Bay and adjoining rivers. I'm not a fisherman, so fishing features aren't important. But the ability to live aboard for a weekend, or longer, is. I don't need to pull anything, either.

Key point here is to be able to cruise ON and around the Chesapeake Bay. It's a big body of water, and can be choppy at times. I don't want to go out when it's not good weather, but I don't want a little chop to deter me either. Otherwise, I should just stick with my flat water kayak, you know?

So I'm targeting the 29-34 foot range. I want a dual motor set up for in-marina control and so that I don't get totally stranded in the Bay should I have an engine problem. And yes, with the Mid-Atlantic humidity, I'll be getting one with a generator.

Is the SCR a good one to be considering, especially vs. the Chaparral Signature (290, 300, 330) and the Sundancer (310, 330, 340)?

Thanks,
Steve