Old 08-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
Commander

Default Deck leak, but from where???

Been a happy owner of a '94 3200 SCR for a couple months now. When I had it inspected, there was evidence of a leak in the headliner, one of the roof panels glue let go and there are stains above the V berth. I was told the leak was from the hatch above the galley and had been fixed. After a heavy rain, paperwork I had in the cabinet above the beakers was wet, touched the liner on the hull and it was soaked. The windshield or windshield wiper leaking? Anyone had this before? Any tips on how to find the source?

geoffm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
Admiral

Rail mounts, windshield mounts are possible sources of leaks.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
Commander

Seeing on YouTube people use dye, but worried this will stain even worse the headliner.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffm70 View Post
Seeing on YouTube people use dye, but worried this will stain even worse the headliner.
I would only use a water soluble one and not a dark color. Yellow may be to light but a light blue or green which can be cleaned up may work. First I would let it dry and then use a hose to wet individual areas at a time to see if you can locate the leak.

Mike
Old 08-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
Commander

Thank you, that's the plan. I suspect there is multiple leaks, maybe from under the rub-line?!? Seeing evidence of black streaks that have run down in several locations.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Thank you, that's the plan. I suspect there is multiple leaks, maybe from under the rub-line?!? Seeing evidence of black streaks that have run down in several locations.
Yes it can leak there but typically only when under way and taking spray.

Mike
Old 08-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Those leaks can be hard to find. I had a loose snap on the deck that led to a wet headliner. Tricky thing is that water travels and is not necessarily right near the leak. Be patient and try and soak small areas at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
Captain

I used baby powder for tracking down leaks. Water can travel a fair distance from the actual leak. Dust the possible areas with the powder. Any water will leave a track in the dust.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #9
Commander

hard to dust the roof no? i'm in Nanaimo and we got our 1st rain in what seems like months, and today was the day I was going to try the dye test!
Old 09-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
Lt. JG

Quote:
Been a happy owner of a '94 3200 SCR for a couple months now. When I had it inspected, there was evidence of a leak in the headliner, one of the roof panels glue let go and there are stains above the V berth. I was told the leak was from the hatch above the galley and had been fixed. After a heavy rain, paperwork I had in the cabinet above the beakers was wet, touched the liner on the hull and it was soaked. The windshield or windshield wiper leaking? Anyone had this before? Any tips on how to find the source?
Interesting thread, we have a 2001 3300 SCR and have found an undetectable leak which leaves water in the forward port side of the V-birth. We have tried soaking the foredeck with water, and have not been able to reproduce the leak. Recently, after the remnants of IDA rolled through the area, when we checked the boat, again we had water. We leave a towel in the area that we know the water occurs, but we cannot locate the source of the problem.

Any thoughts on how we might identify? In advance, thank you!
warbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
Commander

after further digging, I am targeting the handrails that run fore and aft next to where the sunpad would go on the bow, also, the screws of the two drink holders. my 3200 has roof panels that are glued up, the middle one lost a bit if it's hold and both the rails and the drink holders are above it. Then my boat leans slightly to port so the front headliner, also on the Vbrth portside has been wet before (mold stains). There is also a partition of the roof that has been very wet before, also on the port side. Going to reseal the deck srews on the drink holders and try to seal the handrails where they pass through the deck. If that fails, I think I have to rip the roof out.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Quote:
after further digging, I am targeting the handrails that run fore and aft next to where the sunpad would go on the bow, also, the screws of the two drink holders. my 3200 has roof panels that are glued up, the middle one lost a bit if it's hold and both the rails and the drink holders are above it. Then my boat leans slightly to port so the front headliner, also on the Vbrth portside has been wet before (mold stains). There is also a partition of the roof that has been very wet before, also on the port side. Going to reseal the deck srews on the drink holders and try to seal the handrails where they pass through the deck. If that fails, I think I have to rip the roof out.
thanks, this is really helpful. We also list to port a bit and this could be a similar issue.
We will check the hand rails and drink holders. Step by step, we'll conquer this nuisance.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #13
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbr View Post
thanks, this is really helpful. We also list to port a bit and this could be a similar issue.
We will check the hand rails and drink holders. Step by step, we'll conquer this nuisance.
I'm in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, we've had a very dry summer and still dry now, but the monsoons are coming, I have to find this or cover the boat with a tarp! I'm also worried about the Windshield and Wipers. Cant be the handrails on the outside, the water would have to go up for that.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Quote:
I'm in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, we've had a very dry summer and still dry now, but the monsoons are coming, I have to find this or cover the boat with a tarp! I'm also worried about the Windshield and Wipers. Cant be the handrails on the outside, the water would have to go up for that.
We are in Buzzards Bay on the Southcoast on Massachusetts. It has been a very wet summer, with an active hurrican/tropical storm season as well. Bottom line, very wet. I wondered about the windlass, so I redid the sealant around that area. I am also wondering about leaks around the stanchions for the rail. It only seems to come in to the port forward berth, but where it is originating I do not know.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #15
Commander

i pulled the deck cup holders yesterday and found two of the screws were loose, and then had water behind them! letting it dry out then resetting them.

still not ruling out more leaks!
Old 09-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #16
Commander

Default how to take the galley panels roof down? (3200 SCR)

So we had a good rain on Saturday, 1st in a long time for VcrIsl. I've yet to see if the deck drink holder screw resealing helped solve my cabin roof leak, if it didn't, going to next take down the padded roof panels. Does anyone know how to do this? are they glued or ???
Old 09-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #17
Commander

Default drink holder reset fix 80% of leaks

we've had some heavy rains the last few days and the cupholder resets are holding the water out! discovered that there are at least 4 railing leaking on the sidewall of the galley. Boat yard say the rub rail has to come off to get access to the bolts under the rails. this is a huge job, any better ideas?
Old 09-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #18
Commander

update: rubrail doesn't need to come off, just several long screws that run through it need to come out to remove the trim in the cabin, which when removed, gives access to the railing bolts.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:21 PM   #19
Commander

Thank you, will try it. Drink holders next to sunpad, broken hatch over galley (had to replace glass) and rub rail screws (still have 3 small leaks) were all my leaks. Rub rail leaks were all on the starboard side and all forward of the head. Previous owners must have hit stuff, but no signs of collision damage?
Old 02-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #20
Commander

Drink Holder leak was the worst of the bunch. Had a hair dryer running into it for a few hours then filled it with Sikaflex. We've had a typical PNW wet winter + heavy snow and this leak as stopped!