Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default cracks

I have a 2005 2400SE. I just noticed I have hairline cracks between the bowsprit and front cleet. Basically where the anchor comes up thru the bow and in front of the cleet. I am wondering if this is from the stress of the anchor hanging on the bow and secured using the bow cleet. If so, is there another way to secure the anchor?
Thanks folks.

Cal boatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...hope you stick around here...the stress cracks as you know can develope anywhere...i have some that I'll take care of this spring..they are surface cracks and don't affect anything..but since yours is on the bow I'd look at the cleat to see how they did the backing ....your cleat should have something like a piece of L-bar with a hole in it to attach your anchor bitter end too.....that usually spreads the load out enough..but if they didn't ...then atleast they shoulda at least used 3" stainless steel washers........how large is your anchor..cus if too large..it can put alot of stress on the bow sprit....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #3
Lt. JG

It's just a 13 lb anchor. Can't hardly believe it's to big as I have trouble getting it to hold sometimes.
While I'm at it tho:
I have gotten a chip in the side where the anchor goes thru the sprit, obviously from the u-bolt that connects the chain to the anchor. I have looked for some sort of gaurd that would go into the slot to protect the bow but have had no luck. Therfore I have had to get a piece of aluminum channel from Home Depot and cut 2 pieces to fit onto the bow. I have seen from around the Marina that Maxum appears to be the only boat that suffers from this. Makes a guy wonder, as it's an easy fix and I don't appear to be the only boat with scars there.
Cal boatr is offline   Reply With Quote