Old 03-18-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
Commander

Default Coming off, going on - Shore Power

OK, the excitement continues to grow for the soon 'new to me' 4100 SCA (twin diesels and a generator) 'pick up' some time next week (paper work drills continue).

So the boat will be on shore power at the current owner's slip, and I'll be heading out for a short (hour/8 nm) trip up to the marina that will be the boat's new home.

Yell at me LOUD if my thought process/procedure is wrong. Beginning with AC power coming from shore power.

Ensure both battery switches are on.

Blowers on for four minutes, bring engines and generator up. Turn off all AC loads and OPEN their breakers on panel. OPEN shore power breaker at pedestal. Shore power breaker OFF on panel, generator breaker ON. Bring back AC loads that will be running underway. Disconnect both ends of shore power cable and stow on board. Underway, blowers off after cruising speed.

Preparing to moor, blowers on. After mooring, switch off AC loads, switch off unneeded DC loads. Shut down Engines. Hook up shore power cable. AC breaker CLOSED at pedestal. Check polarity indicator GREEN. Generator breaker OPEN on panel, Shut down generator. Panel Shore Power breaker ON, bring up AC loads for in port use.

With any luck I won't blow the whole place up

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Admiral

I think you have it down but recommend to disconnect the shore power before turning on the genny just in case you accidentally left something on and do the reverse when connecting back up.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I think you have it down but recommend to disconnect the shore power before turning on the genny just in case you accidentally left something on and do the reverse when connecting back up.
Thanks Mike, good catch.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #4
Lieutenant

you got this buddy. By the way, i leave my blowers on all the time when running the engines and genny
kingstonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Lieutenant

by the way Paul it never happened until you post pictures
kingstonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
OK, the excitement continues to grow for the soon 'new to me' 4100 SCA (twin diesels and a generator) 'pick up' some time next week (paper work drills continue).

So the boat will be on shore power at the current owner's slip, and I'll be heading out for a short (hour/8 nm) trip up to the marina that will be the boat's new home.

Yell at me LOUD if my thought process/procedure is wrong. Beginning with AC power coming from shore power.

Ensure both battery switches are on.

Blowers on for four minutes, bring engines and generator up. Turn off all AC loads and OPEN their breakers on panel. OPEN shore power breaker at pedestal. Shore power breaker OFF on panel, generator breaker ON. Bring back AC loads that will be running underway. Disconnect both ends of shore power cable and stow on board. Underway, blowers off after cruising speed.

Preparing to moor, blowers on. After mooring, switch off AC loads, switch off unneeded DC loads. Shut down Engines. Hook up shore power cable. AC breaker CLOSED at pedestal. Check polarity indicator GREEN. Generator breaker OPEN on panel, Shut down generator. Panel Shore Power breaker ON, bring up AC loads for in port use.

With any luck I won't blow the whole place up
Wow! When you say it like that I think I need a nap. Happy motoring.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt214 View Post
Wow! When you say it like that I think I need a nap. Happy motoring.
Tax payers' money at work - 27+ years USN Submarine service. I'm that geekwho will have a pre-underway check list, fueling che list, potable waterm loading check list, etc. I feel a lot better (safer) depending on a proven procedure in my hand than my memory.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Lt. JG

One mechanic here claims you should always disconnect shore power before starting the engines due to the sudden overload from the alternators. Others say that is rubbish. Thoughts?
Foxy 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy 01 View Post
One mechanic here claims you should always disconnect shore power before starting the engines due to the sudden overload from the alternators. Others say that is rubbish. Thoughts?

A boats starting and charging system are 12 VDC which is separate from shore power AC. However the battery charger is where the two can meet and IMO the charge should be turned off when starting to prevent the potential of high current being sourced from it by the starter which may result in damage to the charger. It should protect itself and limit the current draw but I would rather not put it to the test.

Mike
Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #10

1) Turn off all individual AC breakers
2) Turn off main AC breakers
3) Disconnect Shore power
4) Start Engines

Why would you need to start the generator? You're only moving the boat a short distance. DC items like fridge should be able to run off of the batteries and alternator.

In reverse order:

1) Stop the engines
2) Connect shore power
3) Turn on main AC breakers
4) Turn on individual AC breakers.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
1)
Why would you need to start the generator? You're only moving the boat a short distance. DC items like fridge should be able to run off of the batteries and alternator.
Good point, for the marina move no need.

I was looking long term at times we would need AC for colking, etc.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 AM   #12
Captain

Default Coming off, going on - Shore Power

Geez, started reading your post and was expecting you to attempt to parallel the generator to the shore power bus and vice versa!
I'm a SWO, so I understand the checklist thing (although I hate them). But is it common for these bigger boats to cruise with the generator on? And turn the blower off after the engines are running! They'll just add to the noise level and decrease their life running so much.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #13
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Geez, started reading your post and was expecting you to attempt to parallel the generator to the shore power bus and vice versa!
I'm a SWO, so I understand the checklist thing (although I hate them). But is it common for these bigger boats to cruise with the generator on? And turn the blower off after the engines are running! They'll just add to the noise level and decrease their life running so much.
You Skimmer Puke Sweater Wearing Shoe SWO Mommas and Dads don't get to have all the fun by yourselves. I used to love waching the E Div'rs watching that synchro scope spin and then close the shore power breaker hoping they were close enough to not make the bus bars bounce!

Today my wife asked if she had to use the check list even after she learned it. I almost tore up her Qual card.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:07 AM   #14
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
You Skimmer Puke Sweater Wearing Shoe SWO Mommas and Dads don't get to have all the fun by yourselves. I used to love waching the E Div'rs watching that synchro scope spin and then close the shore power breaker hoping they were close enough to not make the bus bars bounce!

Hey- I do not and will never own a SWO sweater!
And I was the Electrical Officer. Fun stuff.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 AM   #15
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike that makes sense.
Foxy 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #16

Also worth noting. Very few people do this, however it is considered a best practice. Before disconnecting the shore power cord, shut off the breaker that that end is connected too. This means the breaker on the tower on the dock as well as the boat. This is especially the case if you leave your shore power cord behind on the dock. You don't want a hot cord on the dock. Especially if it rains or someone accidentally kicks it in the water.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Also worth noting. Very few people do this, however it is considered a best practice. Before disconnecting the shore power cord, shut off the breaker that that end is connected too. This means the breaker on the tower on the dock as well as the boat. This is especially the case if you leave your shore power cord behind on the dock. You don't want a hot cord on the dock. Especially if it rains or someone accidentally kicks it in the water.

He captured this in the first post "OPEN shore power breaker at pedestal"

Mike
Old 03-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #18
Captain

I also run blowers at all times. They are cheap insurance against accumulated fuel vapors, and the disastrous effect they can have.

I can not hear my blowers over the engines running, so noise is not an issue.

Yours is diesel, so somewhat less of a concern, though. But for the benefit of others who may stumble on this thread, another good habit is to open the hatch, and sniff inside the bilge. Any whiff of fuel, and don't touch the key till you've investigated and solved the issue.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
I also run blowers at all times. They are cheap insurance against accumulated fuel vapors, and the disastrous effect they can have.

I can not hear my blowers over the engines running, so noise is not an issue.

Yours is diesel, so somewhat less of a concern, though. But for the benefit of others who may stumble on this thread, another good habit is to open the hatch, and sniff inside the bilge. Any whiff of fuel, and don't touch the key till you've investigated and solved the issue.
I certainly couldn't hear them with the engines running. They must not have been too loud because I don't recall hearing them after shutting down. I noticed the switches on when I went back up the bridge to secure all the electronics.

You're spot on about the gas v. diesel vapor hazard. I had a Machinist Mate Chief Petty Officer who would show all the new guys how 'harmless' diesel fuel was by putting out a cig in a small cup of diesel fuel (real quick 'dunk' and kept it submerged, so little O2 or heat for the fire triangle). That being said no one should every take diesel fuel leaks or smells for granted.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

I take my cord with me just in case. Also I only have 20 of the 50ft out of the boat.