Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via AIM to jblack1036
Default charging batteries ???

Hello all, got a quick question and need some learnen.......

I read quite a few threads on here already but no one has answered the question or I'm just not using the right search words...

Bottom line and question......

When on shore power, will the batteries charge if the battery switch is in the "OFF" position??? I seem to remember a thread on here somewhere, which I cannot find, that the batteries will still charge if the switch is in the off position.

Oh, I forgot the other important stuff.......94 2400 SCR 350 mag, alpha 1 gen 2. No Air Conditioner.....Just the simple 30 amp shore hook-up.

The reason for the question is because I keep my boat moored at a local marina (bout 35 miles away). I keep it on shore power when away and set the battery switch to off. I have not had any problems as of late but here lately it seems that the start battery is getting weeker with every trip down to the marina and last weekend we hooked out overnight and I had to use both batteries to get her started. I only use the start battery for starting and when I'm underway, I set the switch to both batteries and when we reach our overnight spot, I set the switch to battery 2 so that I will be able to switch back to battery 1 when it's time to move out. This way I know I'll have power to start and run. I'm wondering if my start battery is going and it's time to replace it or have I not been doing it correctly.

I've read alot of good info so far but nothing has truely answered this one other than a thread I can't find or one that I miss read..

Thanks

Jimmyb

Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Admiral

Jim
well...if your on shore power and the batt sw. is in the off position..the shore power is on and the charger is on at the AC panel...then yes the batt's should all charge....but....if your connections are corroded, this would increase your resistance increasing...the other thing is how old is the batt...if it is about 5 yrs old..it's probably going...be sure to check and maintain the fluid levels....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Lt. JG

@ Seapuppy, thanks for the reply..

The manual doesn't say it and all the stuff I have read on here doesn't say it either. However, the manual specifacally says that while on shore power, not to set the switch to both positions but any other position is recommended. It doesn't specifically refrence the "off" position but it is a position (RIGHT???).... kinda confusing and leaves you questioning. As far as my batt's are conserned, I'm definantly in need of getting some new ones as they are a few years old. Time to go on a shopping spree since I plan to add three more 27 series with a seperate charger in preperation for my new "CUDDY DC"...

Again, thanks for the reply...
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Jim,

You can also verify it; 1) When on shore power look at the charger and verify that it is "On". 2) Since you have two batteries it's logical to assume that you have a two bank charger. Trace the + and - outputs from the charger - they shouldn't go through any sort of switch. Negative leads will probably go directly to the neg terminal on each battery and the positive leads will either go to the pos term on each battery or to "1" or "2" terminal posts on the back of the battery switch.

You could also verify the chager output it with a multimeter. With the chager Off and the battery switch OFF take a reading across the + and - terminals of each battery and note the value. Then turn the charger ON, but leave the batt switch off, and take a second reading on each battery. If the charger is working the 2nd reading should be higher than the first.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Lt. JG

@ss3964spd, thanks for the input. I know I put a multimeter on the boat, just don't know where.....hmmmmm. I'll try this when I get to her on Saturday. Thanks for the info. I should have done that before I posted.......again, thanks..