Old 09-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

Default Cabin Headliner Replacement

I wasn't sure if this was more appropriate in the General or Mainenance section. (Moderators, feel free to relocate thread).

I have a 1997 2800 SCR. I bought the boat a few years ago with some minor mold spots in the headliner. I treated the spots and cleaned them with everything under the sun. The spots aren't growing in size or in the area they cover. I am fairly sure the mod itself is dead, and I'm left with resultant staining. I've tried everything to get rid of it. cleaners of every type, residential carpet shampoo, etc. I'm considering trying to hire a professional cleaner ("Stanley Steamer", "Rug Doctor", etc). I am a bit concerned that a steam cleaner may cause issues with the adhesive that holds the headliner in place. If that doesn't work I'm considering trying to get the headliner replaced.

1) Anyone ever have a similar issue?

2) Anyone have any experience with professional carpet cleaners?

3) Anyone have the headliner replaced? If so, any suggestions on a place that might do that kind of work, or more importantly, how much something like that might run? There is a huge seam in the headliner right where the v-birth starts. All the mold stains are forward of the seam. Theoretically, I don't even need to entire headliner replaced, just from the seam forward. So....half a headliner.

Any thoughts?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Cabin Headliner Replacement

I've used bleach and water delution mixture to remove stains...works quite well.....the other is oxyclean.....rub it in...let sit...then shopvac it out...now the other thing you need to do is find the sourse of water to get fixed....gotta stop the water from making it come back in the winter....as for replacement of the monkey fur....I don't have a source for that...but I've seen people take the head liner out...and replace with nice vinyl...glue and foam and it really does look alot better...tons of work but could be worth it in the long run....

SP :mrgreen:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Like SP said, Oxy is great; if that doesn't do it, our first choice for removing carpet stains has always been Resolve.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #4

I've spoken with two different local marine upholstery guys and both have said they do everything BUT headliners. They both claim the confined space in the cabin and the nature of the adhesives they have to use is damaging to the body even with fans and respirators. I've tried a number of standard cleaners. I've tried a 2 part Oxy cleaner spray that didn't work. I can certainly give resolve a try (what can it hurt). I've called a local Service Master franchise who claims they handle mold abatement. They're going to look at it and see if they can get it out.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Any update on your headliner?
Maxum3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

Thanks for following up Maxum3200. No update. When I've had downtime to focus on projects, I ended up chasing mechanical and broken items. We believe we have a very small leak in one of the hatches, as well as the rub rail and a few of the handrail stanchions. We're going to chase down the leaks first, then fix the headliner.

As of right now, I still can't find anyone willing to do a headliner job. I had mixed results with a carpet shampooer. the problem is, the mold stains are in the padding underneath the headliner, not the headliner itself.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Lt. JG

We have been trying to find someone to look at our headliner as well and give us their opinion but it doesn't seem like anyone is able to. I was going to call the dealership and ask them but since the dealership is no longer in existence should I call bayliner and ask them?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Admiral

yes..contact your local bayliner dealer and ask how they remove the headliner and how it can be replaced.....it's not that hard ..mine is vinyl and I know that it's just snapped up there somehow...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

SP, removal and disassembly is always easier than reassembly. (Just look at any toaster that has been dissabled by a young, curious, future engineer). It's the reassembly that is where I'm concerened as well. I think I have the same problem as MAxum3200. I beleive headliner is installed on the deck before the deck and hull are married at the factory. Most upholstry (marine and auto) that I spoke with won't touch it. They claim there are issues with lack of ventilation and teh toxicity of the adhesives used.

Now a Snap-in system is intriguing and something the wife and I have contemplated. I'm going to give that a try.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Shrew when do you plan on giving that a try? Are you going to pull the whole thing out and then somehow measure the headliner to replace it with a vinyl one and snap it? I think my headliner is glued in and it's going to be especially difficult to pull it out near the front hull area with the bed and water tanks are over there. I am thinking that they put the headliner in before they installed other stuff on the boat. I'm not sure though. I'm going to call bayliner and see what they say but I can see that it's going to be a real big job. Especially since no one else appears to have done this on their boat to say otherwise and no professionals want to touch it.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Admiral

actually the headliners if they are vinyl are not glued to the upper decking...it's clued to a fiber board of some sort and then sorta snapped in....the sides of the boat hold it in...I'm not positive about how it's attached but I can do some checking...

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang