Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Cabin Door Lock

When we got the Maxum last year, it came with a key that fits the lock for the cabin door; however, the lock seems stuck and the key will not turn. We rigged a lock for when were are not on board, but we would feel more secure if we could get the cabin door lock to work when we are sleeping in the boat. I am not sure if I am just missing something on how the lock works, or if we need to order a new assembly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Admiral

order a new lock..something inside broke..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Will check into it... Maxum parts are not exactly "economical". I got a quote for the rear carpet section that is over the motor hatch, and Maxum came back with $340 for that small piece of carpet.... amazing! :x
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Admiral

you can have a local make it up for a lot less....

check into that ...don't they have a bunch of marine people around you??..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Ensign

Again..... I am not a rep of this company but they treated me like a King. Great service and great prices. I usally DO NOT promote a company but with service like this and the prices. I have to say. "snapincarpet.com" is the way to go.
CaptLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks guys. I will check on that lead. The carpet is not a big deal, obviously. The stuff we have is in decent shape I guess. The eisenglass in the front was a larger issue since I could not see properly.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Lieutenant

This is probably is not your problem since you say the key is stuck, but I had trouble locking my 2700 door from the inside until I realized that the lock has three positions - locked, lockable, and unlocked. You can only lock from the inside in the "lockable" position. I forget which position is which, but I thought mine was broken for a while.
Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticamo
This is probably is not your problem since you say the key is stuck, but I had trouble locking my 2700 door from the inside until I realized that the lock has three positions - locked, lockable, and unlocked. You can only lock from the inside in the "lockable" position. I forget which position is which, but I thought mine was broken for a while.
This is very interesting. On mine, it seems to have a "slide" lock that has a red dot showing. It looks like you could only slide it over the red dot or in its current position where the red dot is showing.

It feels jammed, as I can not slide the lock "button" from the cabin. There could be some kind of a latch or something I am missing....

Any other ideas would be greatly apprecaited. Maxum wants around $300 for the lock....
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Lieutenant

If the problem is that you cannot lock from the inside, then you just have it in the wrong position. If I recall correctly, when the key is vertical it is locked and when it is horizontal it is unlocked (and wont lock inside), but there is a third position in between where you can remove the key and then lock from inside. It has been a few months, however, so I may not remember exactly how it works (and, since I have a 3 year old I never put it in the "lockable" position anyway). I don't think your lock is broken.
Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Admiral

you know...since I read tic's post about the lock....I remembered that I'm always fighting my wife when she unlocks the door...she'll just turn the key to the vertical position and pull the key out...that essentially prevents the inside slide from moving up to engage the lock...
turn the key back to the horizontal position and then try the slide lock...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Thanks guys. The other problem is that I can not turn the lock from the outside with the key. Your explanation explains why I can not lock it from the cabin, but I still can figure out why the key does not turn the lock from above. Possible it is the wrong key... I got the boat used/repossesed, so anything is possible. Maybe it just needs some WD-40?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Admiral

is there a lock number on the lock itself???..get your hin number and call your local dealer..he can order the right set of keys for it....

last yr I lost my keys over the side of the dock......well..they jumped off the key "D" ring and escaped....watched it go over the dock in slo-mo....amazing..
anyway..called the dealer...who has me on speed dial on thier computers...and pulled up the HIN...then ordered me 5 sets of keys...I have them hidden all over the place now so I can get back on board and start the engine if the next set escapes......I had to actually hot wire the ignition to get home......I haven't hot wired anything since my youth when I stole my dad's car..... :wink: ..but that's another story!!...

Sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Lieutenant

Good idea. I assumed the key is the correct one, but it is possible they got mixed up somewhere along the way.

Also, good idea to keep spares around. I keep two extra sets at home, but that is not going to help if they fall overboard during an excursion.

Cheers.