Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Buying - what to look for?

Hi guys, i put in for the Facebook group but haven't had the acceptance yet.

Anyway, I'm going to look at a 1996 2400SCR on Friday/Saturday - out of water. I've been told it has a new 5.7 long block a couple years ago, but don't yet have much more information. He said the hot water tank needs to be replaced along with batteries, but I don't think I'll get much more info until I'm there.

I was curious of the things I can check out while on the trailer and with no batteries (yes, I'm already worried in my head). Obviously the cosmetic stuff will stand out, but any major and or this boat specific I should pay attention to?

If this helps any, I have never had a boat. I am a pretty good auto mechanic, rebuilt and rewired my jetski trailer, have done most of the renovation in my house, so overall I'm handy and not scared of much but also smart enough to research anything before I get in to it (hence me being here)

I am trading off 2 seadoo spark jet skis that I don't ride enough (had a baby in December) so my worst fear is handing over some great skis for a nightmare.

LaxCoach6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Admiral

Obviously don't close a deal until he puts in at least a starting battery and you get to take it for a cruise. Is the hot water tank leaking or just not getting hot? Replacing it is not that big of a job, should be 6 gallon tank.

Look at maintenance logs if he has any but plan for a full annual tune up and maybe even a new set of bellow.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Ensign

Definitely going to make sure it floats and runs and I would hope he wants the same. He wasn't clear on the hot water tank issue, but I looked up some stuff on either an element or a new tank, didn't seem too bad.

I'm figuring this is going to be kind of a feeling out between us to see if it's worth pursuing, I just wasn't sure if there were any significant signs to decline
LaxCoach6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:28 AM   #4
Admiral

If he doesn’t provide a battery take you own to use. Be sure to take a test ride on the water as a trailer test doesn’t tell you much. Take a IR temp sensor with you to take temps of the engine and exhaust system which is water cooled. Is this a salt or fresh water boat? Check for corrosion of the drive. Is it an Alpha or Bravo? If an Alpha verify when shifting out of gear the engine doesn’t stall, if it does it most likely needs a lower shift cable. Check the condition of the bellows for cracks in between the folds. The water heater is an easy replacement if you plan to even use it. Is it plumbed to heat off the engine or only shore power? Check all helm switches to verify everything works. Use boat search engines to compare price vs condition.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote