Old 03-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Buying a 98 2700 SCR

Hello all, I am buying a 1998 2700 SCR. It needs a little work but in overall good condition. The problems are all minor. The head doesn't work, speedo is out, fuel gauge is out and the water heater leaks. If anyone can offer any suggestion on any of them, it would be appreciated.

I plan on buying a new electric head and water heater.

As far as the speedo, when we pulled the boat for inspection, I didn't remember seeing a pitot tube on the transom.

Does anyone know how to get to the fuel sensor?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Commander

The forum moderator has a newer 2700SCR. I am sure he will have some information for you when he sees your post.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Admiral

Howdy Hibris1
welcome to the zoo...I have the 2700SCR model yr 2003...great boat...it sounds like a few things to fix and it will be a good boat...when you say the gauges are out..do you mean not working or missing from the dash..???
..first off....may I suggest getting it surveyed....a pro will check alot of things that you won't even know about to look at.....then put it into a report that you can use to negotiate a lower price or other agreements.

the 2700 has a small hole on the leading edge of the outdrive about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom...you have to feel for it with your finger...take a 1/4" drill bit and hand insert it ..give it a small twist and see if you get any trash out of it...then where the lower and upper drive joins together...see if the hose there is still attached to the lower unit...that might fit your speedo...

The fuel gauge is powered by a sensor down in the fuel tank...in the engine bay you should see the sensor on top in the fwd engine bay....of course being careful that the batt's switches are turned off before opening the sensor up...they can be easily replaced....

I'm thinking your head is a pump jabsco model..might need a rebuild pump kit to get you going.......as for the water heater...there are a ton of them but I think for a couple hundred bucks...a new one can be slipped in..it's usually water heated from the engine and also powered by shore pwr.....be sure to hook the electrics up exactly as before when you replace it.....
Welcome to the zoo...keep us informed....
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks for the reply. I did have it surveyed and am getting a fair price on the boat.
I did mean that the gauges were not working. I didn't see anything to do with the fuel tank in the engine compartment. I believe the surveyor said the tank was in the center of the boat (under the midberth?).
Now I know were the pitot tube is I will try to clear it. The outdrive had a lot of growth on it. I need to have it painted. It still has the original paint from when it was replaced a couple of years ago.
I take possession of the boat tomorrow. I can't wait.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Good luck and enjoy your sleepless night

ashley
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I took possesion of my boat last night. Now to fix everything.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Admiral

cool!!...looks like a nice boat...where do you boat at??..take lotsa pictures and come here often to tell us your stories of hairpulling and empty wallets!!..

never mind about where you boat at...i see from your bio that your in houston....too far for me to stop by for a beer!!...

now it's official...welcome to the zoo!!...
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Default Welcome to the zoo

Welcome to the zoo friend, I have a 06' 2900SE,last year for that model. feel free to ask any questions.
~~jb
Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Lt. JG

Default Maxum Buying

I just bought a Maxum 1998 3700 SCR last month and it needs the same TLC that all boats need to stay ship shape. I had the broker replace a badly leaking hot water heater, macerator pump, and water pump. We also had to tune both Merc 7.4L MPI engines. I was left with replacing the horn, anchor light and some burned out light bulbs. All in all not bad for a 10 year old boat. The boat was in great shape other than that. I do have an A/C mechanic looking at one of my A/C units that decided not to come on last week. I have found that you save a lot of money if you research and do most of the work yourself. Replacing lights, horns and etc.. is easy work and it will save big bucks!!

I should have everything taken care of by the end of the week and looking forward to taking it out on the water. This would be my third trip out in as many weeks. I love the 3700 SCR. It's a great boat to just cruise around and have fun. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...hope you have many fun times with the new toy!!..

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang