Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Buying a 2002 2700 what should I pay

Got a 2002 2700 picked out with 240 hours inside is super clean in the Midwest what should I be paying. Thanks mike

Ibassez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Commander

Cool 2002

Have it checked I had 210 hrs on a merc 2002 5.7L and had to rebuild it .Crap head gaskets sucked a valve etc.And I had it checked out.Good luck

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunuck View Post
Have it checked I had 210 hrs on a merc 2002 5.7L and had to rebuild it .Crap head gaskets sucked a valve etc.And I had it checked out.Good luck
No doubt I'm having the boat surveyed but what is a good price for a 2002 2700
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Admiral

Go to yachtworld .com and look up that make and model to get an average......
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #5

www.boats.com
www.yachtworld.com
www.usedboats.com
www.boattrader.com

I would do a search. Search the entire country. Expand the search 2yrs +/- You should get a good feel for the price range of that make/model. You'll have to really take a close look at features and condition. Poor condition will drive price down, and many options and features will drive it up. However, you should get to within a few thousand dollars estimated.

Best of luck.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...that's a nice model boat and you should have many happy times....however as stated...and it seems your doing that..have a mechanical survey done and from your research on those sites shrew provided....you can negotiate a better price or make an offer...right now it's a buyers market and will provide you with a nice boat...
I'd like to point out that although this is a maxum site....we can't logically provide advice on a boats worth...mechanical and handling qualities yes...but price is soooooo subjective with area, condition, market that we're just not able to help with that type of advice...
good research and a survey is your best weapons to have in your person when negotiating .....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Ensign

Ok IM having a full survey done for 530

I'm buying it for 32'000
Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Admiral

when the survey comes back...if there is any problems...you now have some negotiating power and can ask for a lower price...remember..it's a buyers market....offer less and let them counter....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #9
Ensign

His asking price was 37000 I offered 32000 and after some talk got it for 32000. , what do you guys think 2002 maxum 2700 240 hours for 32000
Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Admiral

Ibassez...
congrats and the 2700 is a great boat depending on engine/drive packages.........
don't know your boating experiences...but if your a beginner...please take an approved boating safety course...

post some pic's when you get a chance..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Just doing a few quick searches seems like a decent price. All depends on condition. Does it come with a trailer? What Size motor?
jrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #12

My only advice is, you can always bid low and allow them to refuse or to counter. You can counter their counter and go back and forth as well. However, once you submit a bid the buyer can rarely lower it. I hate it when they accept the first offer. that means they would have taken less. I'd take a look at as many boats of that size adn general year, then bid as low as possible within the reasonable range. If they are dealing with a broker or dealer, then there should be little worry of offending the broker. This is business. As stated, make sure the bid is contingent on a satisfactory survey and sea trial.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

On the flip side, if you low ball a bid then the owner/dealer/broker won't take you seriously and may decline working with you at all (depending, of course, if there is sufficient interest from others). Or, you low ball, they say no, then you come back with another offer - but still too low. Now they know are very interested and and will likely decline that offer too, on the bet that you'll come up yet again.

Certainly, you want to get the boat for the least amount of money. Having looked at quite a lot of used boats I am always rather shocked to find that so very many are in less than "good" condition, a handful are in "nice" condition, and few indeed are in "great, turn-key" condition. For my money I'd rather pay more for a boat in great condition, because one like that also suggests it was well maintained.

As suggested, scour the internet for the same year, make, and model that you are considering. Note the asking price, engine package, hours, and relative stated condition of each. I think you'll get a pretty clear idea where the prices are. Also check the NADA guides for boats.

Have fun.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Ensign

No trailer 350 mag engine 240 hours very clean inside . He was asking 37000 I thought 32000 was not low balling but low
Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

In my opinion, a 350 MAG in a 2700 is just barely enough power for that boat. Be absolutely certain you take it for a run with enough weight to approximate how you will typically be using the boat to ensure it performs to your expectations.

I agree, offering 32k on a boat listed at 37k is not low balling - it is a reasonalble offer. However, until you do the research, you won't know if the 37k it is listed at is WAY over market price or not. They may have priced it at 37K, knowing it's over market, and fully expect a 30 to 33K offer - which might STILL be over market but the buyer thinks they are getting the boat a good price. Won't know until you research.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

I have no clue as to the "value" of the boat and / or the "asking price". But, I would agree 100% with Dan's advice above - do your homework. And, I wouldn't be too concerned about making a "low ball" offer - worst that can happen, is seller says "no".

Good luck.
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
Ensign

Did some looking around and 32000 for a 2002 maxum 2700 with 240 hours is a good price the boat looks really really inside . Has some scratches near the bumpers which I think is common. Néeds a wax and was stored indoors . Think 32000 is a good price