Old 08-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Bravo 3 drive shower

Just wonder if anyone has a drive shower and what brand? Also do you know how well they work?

dave4boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
Captain

What horsepower are you running, and how long on average do you run on plane, and at what speeds?

Bravo drives have much larger gear cases than alpha drives, with more oil volume. Under most conditions, bravos really don't need showers to keep cool enough. Alphas definitely need them in high hp, high speed or long on-plane durations.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Running 5.7 liter engine with 4 battle carb I'm guessing about 250 hp. On plane no more than 1/2 hour at a time and 30 to 33 mph. Thought might be good idea to prevent any future problems. Also I'm pushing a 1993 2700 scr up river. Never more than 1/2 tank fuel and 1/3 tank water 2 adults and 2 teenagers.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Admiral

I run a 6.2L with the Bravo III typically at 3600 RPM for about 1.5 hours at a time to get up lake and have never had an issue that would dictate a drive shower.

It might give you peace of mind but I doubt you really need one. Are you seeing a chalky white build up on the top of the outdrive?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
Lt. JG

No! But I have a friend who had a bravo 3 . When he was out on ocean he never had a problem but when on river where I am his drive would get hot. Maybe ocean water is that much cooler. River can get up to 80 plus degrees by end of summer. Yes it would make me feel better.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4boats View Post
No! But I have a friend who mhad a bravo 3 . When he was out on ocean he never had a problem but when on river where I am his drive would get hot. Maybe ocean water is that much cooler. River can get up to 80 plus degrees by end of summer. Yes it would make me feel better.
Not sure how he determine it was hotter in the river but I would think the ocean currents would provide a larger load on the drive.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

Drive showers aren't really necessary if cooling water is being pulled through the drive. Drive showers are used if through hull pick ups are installed.

Livorsi and Simrek are good brands. They can aid in cooling. I had s Livorsi on my Bravo III.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote