Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Boston _ Advice Needed

Hello Folks:

It looks like we will be relocating to Boston in 2010. Thanks to the help of this site, we bought our boat nearly a year ago and LOVED everyone minute.

First, as we are looking for housing in the Boston area, any recommendations for "boating" locations? We looked at Hingham and Scituate and both seemed great. I will be working near Harvard Medical School (Longwood Medical Area), hope to have a reasonable commute.

Second, is it worth relocating our boat, or should we sell and get a new one eventually? We have no trailer, so we would need to pay a company to ship it to our location in Boston.

Third, what would it take to make it "salt" ready? This boat has only been in Lake Mead its entire life.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #2

Default Re: Boston _ Advice Needed

IF the boat isn't bottom painted, then get it bottom painted. I'd get it barrier coated, then bottom painted. I used the Petit Hydrocoat system this year and put a Petit barrier coat on after bringing the bottom down to fiberglass.

Zinc's on the outdrives and trim tabs. Keep on them an replace them religiously.

Make sure all of your metal throughhulls are properly protected.

Update paper and electronic charts with the local area. If you don't have one, get a GPS. Strongly consider Radar, if you don't have it already. (Many people don't have it and swear they have been boating for years without it. Anyone who's been caught in the fog or in limited visibility wishes they had it).

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks. Any advice on coastal areas for relocation that would be close to a marina, yet not hideous to commute into the Longwood Medical area?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Lt. JG

If you like your boat and want to keep it, you can either have it shiped or buy a trailer and tow it yourself (providing you have a vehicle large enough to tow it.) You may want a trailer to pull the boat out in the winter depending on the weather and your usage.

If you decide to ship it or want to check the price, BoatUS in their latest magazine recommends uship.com which is an auction-style web site where transportation companies submit bids to move your boat. You can then chose the winning bidder.

Lots of luck on your move.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Admiral

there goes my free boat ride in Vegas!!!....good luck in the move...and congrats on the new job...
oh yeah...you don't have to stop posting here.... :wink:

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks Guys! SP, come before the Spring and your ride awaits. I will check Uship. Thanks again.