Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Bonding Wires

This isn't really a project, maintenance and not really electronics. It's electrical. I guess it 'could' be maintenance, but this is not really a repeated maintenance project. I'm stuffing into general until I've had my coffee this morning.

I found 2 bonding wires with ring connectors which were disconnected. I never noticed them before. One is going to the A/C seacock, then other runs underneath the engine, near the transom. I suspect they were disconnected back when I repowered and swapped out the seacock (while there was room to work).

I have no idea where these are supposed to connect. The bonding wire from the seacock is not very long. It can connect to the ring terminal on the other bonding wire or it could connect to the Drive trim pump. Technically, both could reach teh drive trim pump.

I would like to get these correctly reconnected. anyone familiar with the bonding system have an idea of where these might go.

I know this is a bit vague, my apologies.

Steve

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Admiral

Steve
what color are the wires.???...green with a yellow stripe is the bond system..they connect from fitting to fitting and then finally end up on the neg. of the batt...or neg grounding strip......so..yes your valve should have a bonding wire to it and then daisy chain to something else..like the engine or the drive....

either way it's got to terminate to the neg. side of the batt. or the engine block or a strip..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

The wires are green. I don't recall if it had a yellow stripe on it. The wire coming from underneath the motor is the same exact color, type adn connector as the one connected to the seacock. I am somewhat confident these are bonding wires. Now I'm wondering if the one under the motor is actually connected to the block. Do you know if either of these would need to connect to the negative on the trim pump? The lengths are coincidnetally just right for connection to the trim pump. I'll also try to see if I can trace them.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Admiral

nope...won't be going to the trim pump at all...but probably to a ground strip on the aft bkhd....unless the trim pump is metal based..then yes..probably to a mounting bolt or screw....
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #5

Trim pump is metal. I replaced it last year. The original was also metal. I'm starting to suspect they were using the pump bracket based on the length. While I don't recall these specific bonding wires, I do recall that the wiring to the solenoid switches and the hydraulic hoses were very short and getting everything disconnected from the old bracket and reconnected to the new bracket was tricky due to both the location of the pump and the limited lendths of cable and hose. I imagine that I probably pulled these bonding wires out of the way to sort out the 'spaghetti' mess I had in my hands at the time. I can completely see forgetting to reconnect them again. There is no ground bus on the transom. I repainted the engine comp. when I repowered, and I would have noticed something like that.