Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Boat radio

I have the original 1997 FM/cassette player and am buying a new Boss one to go with the Boss speakers i just bought. Im not after any amazing sound as my sound money is all spent on the home system (trying to get over 100 DB at 21Hz from a boat is a waste of my money)

With the old radio i have a get an interference, it sounds like a quiet version of the warning alarm. Could this just be that the radio is so old, and where is the arial hidden on a 1997 17' maxum? Could that need an update too?

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Admiral

that's a big irritant to me....these boat radios all suck in the reception dept...mine won't even pull in a radio station if I were standing on the danged thing....as for an antenna...even in my bayliner I can't find the stoopid thing....there are some things you can do to illeviate this..one is get a separate FM antenna and mount it...the other is tie into the vhf radio antenna....

the whine your hearing is usually due to RF energy being generated from the engine systems....ie plug wires, altenator, plugs....those are the only 3 things that can cause that whine....resistive plugs and wires will eliminate that in 90% of the cases....every once in awhile an alt. will be bad and that will cause a whine thru the FM radio.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Ill fit the new radio and see how it goes, i would rather listen to the radio than cd's or mp3's. May end up recording podcasts although its nice to have real time news and weather
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote