Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Boat prices up in the USA?

Over here in the UK i used to come across a lot of maxums on my search to buy one and always were shocked at how cheap they were over in the US. I had a look tonight and came across this;

http://classifieds.lycos.com/vehicle...oto_thumbnail/

Now this is a 2003 review on a 17' boat with a 3L lump and is 13k $
http://features.boats.com/boat-conte...xum-overdrive/

In the 1st link there are 2nd hand ones that may be 2' longer with a bigger engine but are from 1997!!

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Admiral

well....I think that person is slightly off....due to the economy...it's a buyers market....boats aren't moving and the price of gas is going way up...more so than at anytime in history......so for the recreational boater...that's something that is just not happening......they have to weight on putting food on the table and paying the mortgage or putting gas in a boat tank........so.....I think you can ask anything you want for your boat...finding a buyer is the hard part....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Ensign

Boats over here in the uk hold there money and Maxum a good one go quickly over here..I bought mine from an ad on Boats and outboards.. You have to jump on them quick! We bought ours 3,000 pounds cheaper than ebay and much cheaper than a dealer... The way I see it is money in the bank under my carport.. I did have to wait and hunt for months but now is a good time to buy one..Make sure they are clean and taken care of..
MrsGleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGleed View Post
Boats over here in the uk hold there money and Maxum a good one go quickly over here..I bought mine from an ad on Boats and outboards.. You have to jump on them quick! We bought ours 3,000 pounds cheaper than ebay and much cheaper than a dealer... The way I see it is money in the bank under my carport.. I did have to wait and hunt for months but now is a good time to buy one..Make sure they are clean and taken care of..
I was very lucky to get a good maxum over here in the UK, the good marine engineer i eventually found knew the boat as he has serviced it from new for an owner that money was no object. The way i see it i will probably get what i paid for it in a few years time, or very close
Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Ensign

I totally agree they hold there value!! Well I hate to say it a very rich man was getting rid of his boats and wanted pennys for ours £7,000 we paid same boat and year are going for 12,000 to 9,000 on ebay..The man had just had posted it in 5minn I was on the phone and down to Devon well pleased could not believe our eyes.. Bought it there and then..
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Ensign

I still to this day can't figure out why that man sold it so cheap....It was his baby and he had sailboats yachts that cost more and were newer.. Never mind we are taking her to Devon soon!! Woo hoo!! Torquay here we come good slip way!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Bigger Boats are 20-40 percent cheaper in States versus Canada. It is crazy becasue there is no duty on boats from the U.S. Big boats are not very mobile and the economy is way better up here, especially in Western Canada, so we have not seen as much pull back in boat prices. I expect boat prices to continue to fall up here as cheap U.S. boats flood the market.
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
Admiral

Years ago my older brother,who lives in Melbourne, Australia, and I we decided to try to sell 1966-ish Mustangs. He had friends that had interest in them. I would try to buy them, he would try to sell them in the land down under. To make a long boring story short you have to have capital and alittle bit of business savy to do something like this........we didn't!! I am wondering how you could market your american boat in europe or elsewhere to get a higher dollar than giving it away here in the states?

Go to the book store and buying business for dummies 101 :-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Ensign

That is the thing me and my husband have thought about buying them in the states I'm lucky to have a husband who works on docks on this side of the pond. I think it would be a good thing to get in to we have talked about it as Maxums are going for penny's back home in the states where over here in the UK they are worth so much more and hold there value. I know of a guy we had met on ebay who got in to it he bangs out a few Maxums he only up dates the trailers and a few other things he makes a good profit as Maxums are the one boat that gets sold quick and people will pay the money for them.. We had just bought ours took it to Torbay we had a man and his wife come up to us and offer £15,000 on the spot we were just getting ready to launch so there is money to be made!!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGleed View Post
I still to this day can't figure out why that man sold it so cheap....It was his baby and he had sailboats yachts that cost more and were newer.. Never mind we are taking her to Devon soon!! Woo hoo!! Torquay here we come good slip way!
Didnt know there were any good slipways in Devon, the Mrs and i wanted to trailor the boat there this summer but couldnt find anywhere with a slipway
Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Ensign

Torquay is the best...... Depends if you want to deal with the tide there is Teignmouth we have put our boat in there and Brixham..Brixham Slip way is a bitch when it is wet we found out.. The best is Torquay good slip way nice Harbor Master..
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

We may just drive down there for a weekend without the boat to take a look, were only in Hampshire so wont take too long and we both love that part of the country
Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Ensign

I wish I was going there!! My husband is talking about taking the boat to the New forest and heading over to Ilse of White.. Trying to find the free slipway..
Old 06-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Plenty of free slipways on the Solent. Small one on Priory Road in Southampton, large one further down under the Itchen Bridge and one in Lymington in the Forest (never used that one but old owner of boat did) It took him 7 mins from there to get to the IOW. There is also a huge one that used to be for the worlds biggest hover crafts in Lee-on-Solent.

Itchen Bridge http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.8...,0.002047&z=19

Priory Road (bit tight on space here) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.9...,0.002047&z=19

Lee-on-Solent http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.8...,0.002047&z=19

Lymington http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.7...,0.002047&z=19