Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Commander

Default Boat lists to one side after removal of generator

My 95 3200 SCR came with an old 5Kw generator that had seen the last of its days and was doing more of getting in my way than anything else so I decided to remove it. I kept the wiring harness and everything else for the one day I may want to install one, but for now, its a nice empty area around the bilge that I can get easier access to servicing the engine when needed. Problem? With the removal of generator, which must have been about 200 lbs, my boat now lists a bit at rest. Kind of drives me nuts. The generator was located on the starboard side, and if you know the layout of the 95 3200 scr, you'll know that a lot of things are on the port side - waste tank, ice maker, entire galley, two engine batteries, etc. I'm thinking of just putting a few 60lb bags of gravel where the generator was, frame it and strap it all down nice and tight. Any other ideas? Thanks.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Admiral

Some manufactures have used concrete to balance trim. What ever you do just make sure it is secure and won't move.

Lead plate also works and take less volume.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Admiral

Put a big tool box in.......

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #4
Admiral

Move the batteries.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Captain

Might be an option to move waste tank to the starboard side?? Just shorten hose fron head, but then you have to deal with adding vent line and maserator if equipped...
Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Lt. JG

How did you remove it? Did you pull that engine or disassemble the gennie and pull it bit by bit? My Westerbeke threw a rod last year and so I pickled the cylinders and now it is just a counterbalance. I'll pull it (maybe rebuild it, maybe not) next time I have to pull that starboard motor, but it would be nice to have it rebuilt BEFORE pulling the gennie so I can use the pull to re-install it.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanati View Post
My 95 3200 SCR came with an old 5Kw generator that had seen the last of its days and was doing more of getting in my way than anything else so I decided to remove it. I kept the wiring harness and everything else for the one day I may want to install one, but for now, its a nice empty area around the bilge that I can get easier access to servicing the engine when needed. Problem? With the removal of generator, which must have been about 200 lbs, my boat now lists a bit at rest. Kind of drives me nuts. The generator was located on the starboard side, and if you know the layout of the 95 3200 scr, you'll know that a lot of things are on the port side - waste tank, ice maker, entire galley, two engine batteries, etc. I'm thinking of just putting a few 60lb bags of gravel where the generator was, frame it and strap it all down nice and tight. Any other ideas? Thanks.
ezcurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Move the batteries.
This!
njones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
Commander

The problem I am up against is that I prefer to not make a permanent change to the boat by relocating the batteries or waste tank as one day I plan to put a generator back in, and its all set up on the starboard side (wiring harness, exhaust port, etc) for it. The original generator probably weighed around 250-300 lbs so although it would be great to put a tool box there or even some other kind of storage, it just wont be enough weight I think. The batteries did give me an idea though, and thats to get some old junk batteries from my marina/mechanic store, add some battery trays/hold-downs, and just keep the junk batteries there as dead weight for now. Plus they are small and easily removed and movable when it comes time to service that side of the boat. I figured 4 batteries should do it.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanati View Post
The problem I am up against is that I prefer to not make a permanent change to the boat by relocating the batteries or waste tank as one day I plan to put a generator back in, and its all set up on the starboard side (wiring harness, exhaust port, etc) for it. The original generator probably weighed around 250-300 lbs so although it would be great to put a tool box there or even some other kind of storage, it just wont be enough weight I think. The batteries did give me an idea though, and thats to get some old junk batteries from my marina/mechanic store, add some battery trays/hold-downs, and just keep the junk batteries there as dead weight for now. Plus they are small and easily removed and movable when it comes time to service that side of the boat. I figured 4 batteries should do it.

batteries = lead ballast

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote