Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Boat Battery Install

Just a question, I had the dealer remove the batteries for me during winterization, now I go to put them in and there are two marked cables called battery 1 and Battery 2, one loose red and black cable unmarked, one white cable called battery 2 ground and one white cable not connected to anything called battery 1 ground. I cant make sense of it and don't want to hook them up wrong. Any suggestions? How much do you think it would cost to have them connect them again? I heard Marine cable colors were different from red hot black ground. Uggghhh I hate this part of having a boat and being mechanically challenged.

Smithbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

High SmithBrother. I would expect that you have pos/neg for Batt 1 and 2 and charging circuits for Batt 1 and 2.

Trace the cables back. Locate the ones that go to the battery charger first. These will be fairly straight forwared and reduce the consfusion. Now trace back the remaining cables. I suspect the remaining are coming from the battery switch.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks Shrew, I'll give it a shot. Not any room to get in there to see what's up. It's more like reach in and feel your way around. Can't understand why they would not have some sort of hatch to make it easier.
Smithbrother is offline   Reply With Quote