Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Bimini Question

Hey all... happy New Years. Like most of you, I'm anxious for winter to pass and for boating seasion to begin again. To pass time, I've been contemplating my off-season enhancements, which brings me to my question.

I have a 1996 1900 SR2 with a factory Convertable top... The top is in perfect condition but I don't like how it connects to the windshield thus reducing my view while driving... plus I'd prefer to have matching sunbrella fabric versus the white vinyl (I'm borderline OCD ).

I'd like to replace the convertable with a Bimini top... have any of you made this switch? Doesn't seem too difficult but would appreciate anyone's experience and suggestions... places to order, number of bows, etc... all advice welcome

As always, thanks in advance for the help!!
JC

jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I used to have a 1994 2000SR that I put a Bimini cover from west marine on. It worked very well. I added the rear hard supports after the first time out because it was in the way while underway.

Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Commander

I have a 6ft. 3 bow top on my 18ft. boat and it works great. The shade coverage is dependent on the angle of the sun. The higher the top the more the sun will shine through the sides. I suggest getting the lowest top you can comfortably move under (not just walk, but move around with fishing poles or skis.). The ends that came with my top from GMI are removable for cutting the poles to the size you need. They just slide back on to cover the cut edge. I purchased mine from GMI after many other boaters had recommended them.

http://www.gmitopdesign.com/page2-e-us.html

I have to say that every part and component is high quality and they have the cheapest prices for Sunbrella that I have seen.

If anyone is interested in an original convertible top. You can see mine for sale here: http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...opic.php?t=510

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

That looks almost exactly the same as I had on my 94. I loved it! My 2006 has a factory Maxum bimini and it is really nice but expensive.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Lt. JG

TGLEE... thanks... I checked out the link you provided and the priced do seem reasonable. Couple follow-up questions: 1) What color did you choose, I also have the burgandy hull 2) What height option did you go with?, and 3) Where did you fasten your front straps.

Thanks again
JC
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Commander

Quote:
1) What color did you choose?
I went with burgundy, I had thought about a lighter color for less fading potential. The burgundy Sunbrella has held up well. GMI will send you free color swatches.

Quote:
2) What height option did you go with?
48"-54", you can cut the ends to customize the height. Measuring instructions are on the website.

Quote:
3) Where did you fasten your front straps?
After you install the top, you can stretch the straps towards the front and see where the pad eyes need to go.

You can see one in the middle of the red circle.

MMSI# 338052622
Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Thanks... I appreciate the advice... I'm gonna give them a call to get some fabric samples... I'd like to also get a beige stripe down the middle... so hoepfully they sew them up in house.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
Ensign

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I really like the top that tglee has on his boat (my Maxum is the same color). It appears that GMI has been purchased by ANP (www.anp.ca). Does anyone know if their products are still okay? They still appear to be a decent value and have Sunbrella fabric.
WaarrEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #9

Welcome aboard WaarEagle!!!

It looks like they are using Sunbrella, so that's a start. I would have no idea how their costs would compare to a custom fit and install.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Ensign

I went ahead and ordered a bimini top from ANP. It looks like their tops are still high quality (double reinforced main bow) and I was able to get stainless hardware and a Sunbrella top for about the same price as Overtons has for nylon hardware and a lesser grade fabric. I will post back my impressions when it arrives in a couple weeks.
WaarrEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
Commander

Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Post some pictures for us when you get it installed,

MMSI# 338052622