Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
Captain

Default Bilge pump location

Is there a good reason Maxum put these platforms on the center of the bilge to sit the pump and pump switch on? It raises the pump almost an inch from the bottom of the bilge and the switch base is about 1/2" above that pump base. For me, it leaves about 2 gallons of water that the pump can't suck up, which fills my little wet/dry vacuum twice...
My switch broke, so just wondering if I should glue it to the bottom or put it back on its platform.

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
Admiral

Two reasons.

1. Material to screw into so you do not drill through the bottom of the hull.

2. You want the float slightly high to prevent the pump from short cycling. Thus happens when the pump cycles from any water that may back flow when it shuts off.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:42 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

I removed both bilge pumps in my 1990 2755 SCR and replaced them with the Whale pumps with smart sensors in them.

No float to bother with, the rear one fits right under the engine in the lowest part of the bilge and removes every last drop of water to the outside. The middle pump is under the step from the cabin to the cockpit, and again, senses the presence of any water and pumps it overboard.

These are great pumps and seem to be reasonable priced - Whale Marine - Products
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
I removed both bilge pumps in my 1990 2755 SCR and replaced them with the Whale pumps with smart sensors in them.

No float to bother with, the rear one fits right under the engine in the lowest part of the bilge and removes every last drop of water to the outside. The middle pump is under the step from the cabin to the cockpit, and again, senses the presence of any water and pumps it overboard.

These are great pumps and seem to be reasonable priced - Whale Marine - Products
That looks pretty cool. Is it solely automatic or does it still have a manual switch wire as well?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Default Operates with same wiring etc. as original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
That looks pretty cool. Is it solely automatic or does it still have a manual switch wire as well?
Exactly the same as the original - manual switch operates the pumps from dashboard, and automatic when pump sensor detects water.
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
Admiral

Why do you have 2 gallons of water in your bilge?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #7
Captain

Rain water. Everything drains into the bilge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Captain

Well I'm pulling an engine next week, so now's my chance to work on the bilge. I ordered the Whale pump but would like to keep the other one too, so I found a Y with one way valves.
My question though is about putting a tube through the current bilge platform. I assume that is just a piece of wood they glassed over. Can I router out a channel down the middle, seal it with epoxy, and then cover the top again? It bothers me that one pump can't get all the water out of the bottom...
Old 12-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

You should not merge bilge pump outlets with a Y. Drill a new hole in the hull, then install a new through-hull fitting, then run a dedicated bilge pump hose to the new outlet.

A check valve failure will create a loop turning your hull into a fish tank.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
Captain

That's a good point, but what if the water gets to deep, they both will run anyways.
What about my water channel, though? I can always add a second hole later, but I can only work at the bottom of the bilge with an engine out...