Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2021, 04:45 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default bench seat wall "hinge" - a great mystery

Hi all - on my 3300, one bench seat is affixed to the wall with a hinge-like deal. Screwed to the seat are two stainless items about 4 inches wide, where about a 1/4 inch bar (4 inches long) protrudes off the back. On the deck wall, there are plastic recepticles which this "bar" sits into. Currently, the are open, or like C shape. I believe they were once complete, and entirely grabbed/surrounded the bars so it was all one piece that couldn't be taken apart.

So - I've been trying to find a replacement for these - no luck. I could probably just buy stainless hinges to replace this set up, but I don't like odd/old holes in my fiberglass nor patchwork - so a direct replacement would be awesome.

Anyone know what parts these might be?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Admiral

This sounds familiar, try using the search tool for other 3300 posts. The one I’m thinking of is at least 5 years old.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:01 PM   #3
CGG
Lt. Commander

https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Flanged-White-48

Cut to size. This is also what is used to hold down the bow cushion.
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:45 AM   #4
Lt. JG

CGG - I think that could work! Thanks!
Old 08-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

This is timely - I noticed one of these mounts cracked on my bench seat. Going to try the anodized aluminum version:

https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Trac...SABEgIilfD_BwE
Old 08-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I am now wondering if these c-shaped rails will work after all. The stainless bracket (two of them 4 inches long) on the rear of my bench seat have "bars" slightly smaller than the diameter of a pencil - if I could pop them into the plastic rails, I'm not sure how much "hold" they'd have. And not sure they could be popped into the aluminum...perhaps a simpler fix is just adding two SS hinges - I just hate drilling new holes in fiberglass (and filling old ones!)
Old 08-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

My seat hinges or whatever you'd call them ... the metal loops that extend from the seat to the plastic mounts ... have flat spots in them to reduce the diameter at that spot. So what you do is hold the seat at about a 45 degree angle to fit the flat part through the channel, then when you fold the seat down to its resting position (parallel to the floor) the wider diameter of the loops can't come back out through the channel.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
Lt. JG

You're right! There are flat spots - not sure how I missed that. So yeah, those rails would work! Sorry, I get excited over even little wins...but thanks!
Old 08-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

I had a largish person sit on the bench finish off my wall mounts on Saturday. Just so happened that I had the 4 foot piece of aluminum channel that I bought from SailRite with me. Good thing because home and boat are 2 hours apart on a good day. So I shattered the sunday morning calm in the marina by cutting the channel to size with an angle grinder. Cuts would have been much nicer had I had a proper workspace, but sometimes you play the hand you're dealt. End result: they worked great out on the water with kids and adults all over the seat all day.

Pics of are of the old broken mounts, the piece of channel from SailRite, finished mount installed but before I slotted in the loop from the seat (so the flat spot on the seat loop is visible), and both mounts with seat installed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1970.jpeg   IMG_1966.jpeg   IMG_1969.jpeg   IMG_1968.jpeg  
Old 08-17-2021, 04:39 AM   #10
Lt. JG

Based on the advice I got here - I just did the exact thing...except since I had four feet of the alum rail to work with, I made 3 inch brackets at home as a random guess - and guessed right! They are exactly 3 inches.

I have an additional issue with this seat. There are molded fiberglass jut-outs on the left/right for support. My seat (the wood base) is actually a bit worn towards the stern - so it still doesn't totally "sit" on these jut-outs right. Additionally, I've confirmed that the 3300 shipped with a cooler that supported this bench in the middle (it's what the black rubber feet are under the front lip of the bench) - but few still have this cooler (or would want it!) I've seen many 3300 pictures where people have created legs. Any ideas to make this thing solid? Additionally - any ideas on storage bins/baskets underneath? Seems like the perfect place for guests to toss their day-gear.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

I'd love a good cooler that fits under there. None of mine do, all are too tall. My seat has a folding strut rod in the center of the outside edge for added support. Also oddly enough my seat's base appears to be made of gray 3/4" PVC rather than wood - it's visible in the fourth picture.
I won't be back there for a couple of weeks but I'll try to remember to grab a picture of the strut. I replaced the rubber foot on it last year ... had to buy a 4 pack so let me know if you need a foot 'cause I have 3 spares lol
Old 08-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

my folding strut looks just like this one but I can't confirm that the 13" would be a correct fit ...
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gare...ng-leg-13.html
Old 09-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #13
Lieutenant

This thread has been very helpful! I ordered the aluminum extrusion awning track and replaced our broken plastic mounts. They look and work great!

Derby Time is offline   Reply With Quote