Old 04-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Battery Question/Lowering Trim

So i am getting my Maxum 2400 SCR ready to put in this weekend and am having an issue with my lower unit. Last night i was lowering to change the lower unit gear lube when it wasn't getting any power and lowering it a little bit. I thought it was a dead battery but when using the blower it was at full power and the trim would still not lower. Any ideas on what this could be? when hooked up to a battery charger it will lower all the way once charged. Thanks in advance

Nauti Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Captain

there is a inline fuse on by the pump. also, that control plug works lose. you can use a jumper wire to by pass the switch, from the battery to the pump to see if it works.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

The outdrive trim pump uses way, way more power (amps) than does the bilge blower motor. Since it did work when you connected the charger either the battery is too drained/too old to hold a good charge or there is a poor connection to the battery.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

If it were a poor connection anywhere in the system, including the battery, woulnd't it be the same regardless of whether the charger is hooked up or not?

Another consideration, take a battery known to be good, verify it is fully charged, then replace with the battery on the boat and retest. Though I don't think this test is necessary, as it will only confirm the previous battery is bad. I still think SS3964spd is right. Any pump will require far more amps than a simple electric fan. A hydraulic pump such as a trim pump in particular (more so even than a simple freshwater pressure pump). If it works with supplmental power but not on it's own, it's the battery.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
If it were a poor connection anywhere in the system, including the battery, woulnd't it be the same regardless of whether the charger is hooked up or not?
Not if the poor connection was the battery terminals themselves. A charger would most likely provide enough juice onto the load wire to run the pump but when trying to pull the amps directly from the battery it would not due to poor connection.

Anywhere else though and you are correct, it would be the same if the charger were connected to the battery posts (or cable at battery posts).
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I was thinking along the lines of a poor connection at the battery itself. The trim pump on my boat is (well was - now wired to the battery switch) wired directly to the battery + and -, thus limiting poor connection points just a few. In the same way a battery can have enough power to power the lights on an automobile but not have enough for the starter to turn the engine. If the battery is good then often pulling the connections and cleaning them and/or tightening them, can do the trick.

Dan
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I ended up buying a new starter battery and seems like everything has worked out. I am in the water for the summer already and have already taken it out twicefor a few hours. thanks for all the help
Nauti Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Admiral