Old 02-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Are gas prices worring you as much as it is me?

It's looking a lot like the summer of 2008 when I saw the majority of the boats at my marina sit and rubber dinghy's with outboards purchased. My answer was an inflatable kayak. Pretty scary, saw prices rise 35 cents the past three weeks. Well at least I have that new BBQ- propane is cheap!

Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Commander

I topped off two weeks ago and paid $3.39. Sitting around the dock yesterday evening everyone was saying that they wouldn't be surprised if it jumped to $4.00 within the next couple weeks. Through the winter a tank (248 gallons) will last 10 to 12 weeks. At these prices I hope to stretch at tank to at least 8 weeks this summer.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Admiral

I gotta tell you...last time we got hit with huge gas prices (which pi$$es me off cuz we have a refinery about 2 hrs away from us), it hit 5 bucks a gallon....we basically idled around and just parked it for the summer at the river docks.....didn't go anyplace....I was hoping to make up for last yr.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #4

Let's put it into a little bit of perspective. Let's say you have a 100 Gal. tank. Let's say gas is $3.50/gal. = $350.00 to fill it up. If gas were $4.50, now we're talking $450 to fill-up. Yes it's a $100 more. Yes that is a lot of money to me. However, is $100 what is standing between you and a good time? All I'm saying is you're already pulling $350 out of your pocket, this is no small sum to begin with. How long can you run 100 gal. in your boat? If you say 1 month, now you're talking $25 extra for the week (weekend more than likely). Heck that's the cost of a decent case of beer or a good bottle of booze.

Will I be choosing my destinations more carefully and choose closer destinations? Yes. Will I become a dock ornament? Absolutely not.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Admiral

wait till you have to toss in 175 gals of go juice into a tub...and watch it burn up feeding two animals in the back called engines....and see how many times you get to go out!!..yes...at 4 bucks a gal...it's not going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination....but we have a budget ....and the one rule for us is "don't bust the budget"

we'll be extremely picky if the price of gas goes thru the roof again...
SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

The only good thing about the 08 surge in prices was that after the spike ($144 a barrel) it plummeted back down to $35. Hopefully after all this middle east chaos settles down we'll see a repeat. Until then, yes I'm still going to go out and burn some pricey fuel. (I'll just skip the silly things... like eating!)
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
....but we have a budget ....and the one rule for us is "don't bust the budget"

SP
That's really the key to all of this. Establishing a budget. I use the "pay yourself first" approach. I opened a savings account specifically for the boat. I deposit the exact same amount every pay period all year long. I essentially pay a fixed amount for for gas each month whether it's December or July. I top the tank off every 1-2 weeks, so it is rarely more than 25 gal. per fill-up. Pay with a card, then transfer the balance to pay off the card from the savings account as soon as it hits. The entire tax return goes in as well. Any money left over goes to projects.

It's not perfect but it keeps the stress down.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
Admiral

The last time this happened I told myself this is entertainment, what does the budget allow? Then I said I don't care if gas is 8 bucks a gallon I'm going to have fun. Now that a jet ski has been added to the fleet it is a no-brainer......use the jet ski......... It still sucks the big one the way big oil controls us!
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Captain

ooooowwwwwww.......you american cry babies.....(hahahaha)

3,39 dollar for a gallon......come on over to the netherlands.......over 9 dollars a gallon........

that are prices your not happy with........(and the 9 bucks is the price on the road.....in the harbours....10,70 dollar a gallon)

this year will be the year of selective boating......for all of us......

greatz from holland....... were prices are exploding at this moment
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
ooooowwwwwww.......you american cry babies.....(hahahaha)
LOL - was wondering how long Ed would be able to hold out before replying to this thread.

At this point I'm pretty pleased that we don't have a larger, twin engine, boat and, even at 4.00/Gal we can still afford to run it whenever we choose.

I'm definitely NOT going to install a gas flow meter (from that other thread); watching the gas gauge drop is sufficient reminder of how much gas the thing uses.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Admiral

Yes Ed we are all spoiled rotten............ain't great to be american!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Cool Ahhhh' Ignorance is bliss..... However....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
I'm definitely NOT going to install a gas flow meter (from that other thread); watching the gas gauge drop is sufficient reminder of how much gas the thing uses.

Dan
Somthing to consider....Fuel ain't light, by having a fuel meter/computer onboard, and running a lesser full fuel tank (while safely knowing that you won't run out by accurately knowing your range) you can save 6.25 lbs. per gallon not carried, or in my case running half tank (90 gals) lightens Bella over 560 lbs. That way the boat runs skinnier, and my wallet stays fatter!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
Admiral

For the most part of the season(not unless I'm going to take a trip) the gas tank stays at half full (notice I said half full and not half empty :-). Why haul all that weight around if you don't need it. Excellent thought Bella!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Admiral

Not having to worry about it in the least is bliss, no?

I don't dispute the merits/value/savings of running a flow meter, and I already know at what RPM the boat runs most efficiently. Certainly, if I were running twins and/or faced with 150, 200, 250 gallon fill ups I'd be singing a different tune.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #15

Lightbulb Trust, but verify….

Quote:
I don't dispute the merits/value/savings of running a flow meter, and I already know at what RPM the boat runs most efficiently. Certainly, if I were running twins and/or faced with 150, 200, 250 gallon fill ups I'd be singing a different tune.
You gotta’ good point Dan regarding the questionable fuel saving on a cuddy style boat like yours, (a damn nice one I might add, and that’s some nice look’in wool too from the pictures of her driving it from a past post!) but I digress…anyway something else to consider while we’re on the subject of determining fuel consumption and range estimation, let me tell you quick story I’ll call “Trust but Verify”

It was two years ago in late July 2008 that I was on was entertaining my now current gorgeous girlfriend and her parents (who I was meeting for the first time) with a warm evening cruise on Bella Sera. The night started great complete with fresh prepared hot hors d'oeuvres (prepared by yours truly in bella’s oven) and plenty of adult beverages. Life was goo-ood!

And so like on Gilligan’s Island we set out for “A-three-hour-tour!”
We cruised down the Mississippi from my harbor in Winona, Minnesota to Trempealeau, Wisconsin (a simple lock to lock and back, 25 mile total round trip). Bella’s (single tank) fuel gauge read just under 1/2 full (85 Gals) before we left Winona, giving her a estimated range of over a 100 miles (@ estimated 1.25 miles per gallon turning out a 36 MPH cruise). So the fuel needed was not an issue……Er’ until on the way back I looked down in amazement that the fuel gauge……….

Wow! I thought, we are only a few miles from Winona and the needle hadn’t moved. Hmm, it could be a stuck gauge I pondered or a faulty sender? So I gave the gauge bezel a tap with my knuckle, but no change in the reading, BUT the latter was so. My first thought when the first engine went was Uh’ oh’. I hope her sister don’t die too cuz that probably means …..Not good…..each of Bella’s 350 MAG MPI twins cut within a minute or so of each other.

I tried in vain to start them but I was “Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin’ for a train!” as they say. Bella was dry! I managed to throw the hook down in a very heavy south current (all I can say is thank god I run an all chain anchor rode in my windlass because my 25 lb. Delta stuck like ***** to a blanket!)

We ended up sitting on the hook for an hour till a harbor friend I called by cell towed us in. Even though the crew were understanding, I was a little embarrassed but I came out of it determined to never re-live the situation considering it could have been worse or even life threatening if we ran out of gas just upstream of a lock and the anchor didn’t hold.

The short of this long story Dan is, when it comes to boating and fuel; “trust but verify”, I prefer to have back up plan in having a second opinion of what’s in your boats go-juice belly before venturing out (or letting it indicate an engine problem of excessive fuel consumption like Iceman pointed with his boat in his previous post on the same subject).

After experiencing the aforementioned, the peace of mind in having the fuel meter /computer, to me is therefore, priceless. ;-)

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. the gauge reading the problem was a corroded electrical terminal on the sending unit connections. Doh!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Yes Ed we are all spoiled rotten............ain't great to be american!
hah....to me it looks great to be american.......everything less expensive then here in europe.....big and nice houses for about 60.000 to 100.000 dollars......for that money you buy not even a house for the dog in holland....my 2400 sc3 for 50.000 dollar...here in the netherlands over 90.000 dollar...etc etc

so big.... your lucky to be a us...ser...so be happy
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
Admiral

Dude, with 3 teenagers, I'm all about "trust, but verify". LOL

I'm also all about ensuring that our boating continues to be stress free. Contributing to the stress free environment is the fact that were we boat, on the Potomac River, we are never more than 5 miles from a fuel dock. We know lots of people on the river, have Sea Tow, VHF, and mobile phone. The boat lacks creature comforts but that also means it is very easy to operate and maintain. I have utter faith in the gas gauge. Indeed, not counting the bottle opener, the only tool on the boat, aside from me, is a small adjustable wrench for the bilge drain plug. No fuss, no muss. Life is good.

So, back to the topic. No, gas prices are not worrying me.

Respectuflly submitted,

Dan
Old 03-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #18

Smile "A ship is safe in a harbor, but thats not what ships are built for" - Anonymous

Quote:

we are never more than 5 miles from a fuel dock. Dan

I see your point Dan, with the boat (and the boating you and your family enjoy) you're pretty safe. I think you'll find though as your boats get bigger and your capabilities and possible range increase, so too does your responsibility as Skipper. Enjoy that boat this summer!

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. Here is a great boating quote just for you Dan-

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain-