Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Anyone ever painted their hull?

I was thinking about changing the boat out but the admiral seems happy with what we have so now I'm thinking of how we can improve it. I've always likes the colored hulls like yours Seapuppy. Has anyone ever painted their hull and if so, is it a practical thing to do? My gel coat has seen better days even though it’s been buffed out a few time and this sounds like a good way of updating the boat. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Admiral

Years ago I had a 21 foot runabout and had the blue Bayliner color sanded down and painted a teal color. Looked real nice. Now this wasn't the hull but on the side of the boat. They ruffed the the gelcoat up and painted over. Turned nice but..........anytime I rubbed up against anything very hard the paint came off. I had extra and used it like a touch-up pen. But I was very pleased with it.

So if I take it you know that the bottom black on SP's boat is the anti fouling paint then further up is the blue colored paint from the factory and that is what you want to do and not the entire hull then I say go for it. Look into using a paint like imron or an aircaft paint that will stick to your gelcoat.

Your autobody guy can answer all your questions or you might have a marina that does this.

Have fun and good luck

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Admiral

actually i think it's quite easy to change or add the graphic's you'd like now days......

first off...roger....mine is black and white...it's black antifouling paint on the bottom...then white..then black gelcoat..then white top cap...then black canvas....easy peasy......

2nd...start by masking off areas you don't want painted....then rough up or sand the areas you do want painted....wipe down with thinner or cleaner...then mix the gelcoat color to spec's and apply by spray gun like a car painter would.....if you have any divits in the gelcoat..now is a good time to bondo, sand, primer, paint....once you have all of the coats on..usually 2-3 coats of gelcoat onto the area you wanted painted...wet sand with 800 to 1000 grit paper...then buff and polish......if done correctly...changing or putting a belly band on your boat is easy with the right tools and all....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Admiral

A humble apologee oh great one.........blue, black........ in a bright sun they all look the same....... its close but no cigar.......Yes......what you just said.... they did to my boat..... and thats what Cymru can do to his..........

Roger
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Admiral

apologees accepted oh minion of mine.....black is black...and blue is blue.....put the beer down unless your willing to share so we're both on the same page!!!....

yes he can!!!......

(do I sound like the great obamanation???)....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Ha, I thought it was blue also!

I won’t be the one doing the work but Roger is right on the ball with what I'm after. That said, if I do that then I have to change the enclosure out too... That's going to be a couple of bob. I've always wanted that blue with the yellow stripe down it.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #7
Admiral

Well.......the main thing is that we pointed you in the right direction to excellence............

Can't wait for the before and after pic's!

Roger
Old 11-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Captain

yo cym...

google X-kote.......and look what they can do for you...

greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote