Old 06-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Any 3200 SCR Saltwater Owners Out There?

Hi guys,

Long story short, I was the short lived owner of an SCR 2400. While she was a nice boat while slipped, she rolled and swayed so much out in the ocean, even when anchored, so much it damn well felt the thing was always on the verge of capsizing and would make everyone on the boat feel sick. Because of this, sold her last fall.

I'm ready to jump back into the boat market again but I'm hell bent on making sure I don't make the same mistake last time, and get a boat that will at least somewhat be stable while at rest. The consensus seems to be the bigger, heavier the boat, with wider beam, the better it will perform at rest when it comes to rolling and swaying.

I have my eyes currently set on a 94 SCR 3200 which would be a nice upgrade from the 2400 I had. Much heavier, longer, and wider beam.

Does anyone out there own a 3200 SCR, especially one used in sea, that could speak on how she handles when anchored at rest? Is she pretty stable, especially compared to the 24 footer I previously had?

Thanks everyone!

cphil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Captain

My 3200 still makes my wife sick at anchor. Anchored in like one foot chop and for whatever reason, she refused to turn into the waves, so we took them on the beam. Granted my wife's sea legs aren't that great at all...

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
My 3200 still makes my wife sick at anchor. Anchored in like one foot chop and for whatever reason, she refused to turn into the waves, so we took them on the beam. Granted my wife's sea legs aren't that great at all...
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would perform better at rest than a 2400 or 2800 at least? Would I be better off with something else?
cphil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Captain

Yes it will be better. It's not going to be still, though.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Wink on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Yes it will be better. It's not going to be still, though.
My 32 is ok i am on cape cod very windy down here most days . it dont roll and takes a good 3 foot wake or wave very happy the way it handles in rough seas also. its only calm early in morn here . plows threw most waves and when on the hook it dont roll bad at all but i got 35 feet of chain on the my plow anchor.
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #6

A boat can be influenced by tide or current to swing in a different direction than the wave action. If the motion is uncomfortable you can take a boat line and tie a prusik knot to the anchor line about 6-8 feet out. Then run that to the mid-ship cleat. I use the cleat horn like a 1:1 pulley. haul in on the spring line until the boat turns its bow into the waves, then tie it off to the midship.

Some people don't do well with the motion of a boat at anchor. I would try an either charter or go out with friends on varying sized boats to see whether their action is more conducive to the comfort of your SO.

My sincerest sympathies. If my wife got sea sick I would be devastated. I sure would miss her.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote