Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID
Unhappy And the hits keep comin...

Just found out that Endless Summer is suffering from multiple blisters below the water line. All this time I thought it was merely algae not cleaned off. Got an estimate of $4,280 to have them all sanded down then bottom-painted, obviously not in the budget for this season (as is the Gimbal Ring fix posted last month!) A few questions/observations for anyone offering input/advice;

1.) For some reason I have been under the impression that mooring her in fresh water all four seasons I've owned Endless Summer that this wouldn't happen... that bottom-painting was only for you SALT-water folks.
2.) The marina I WAS using (key word; "was") told me the discoleration after a season of sitting in Lake Coeur D' Alene, ID was the algae taking a strong-hold, including the numerous black blotches. If I scrub them hard enough (with a bristle-type brush) they come clean, so I'm not really sure the "blistering" has been properly diagnosed.
3.) The guy who gave me the $4,280 quote said I could run my hand over the hull (again, below the waterline as it sits on the trailer) and feel the "bubbling". I've done that and don't remember such an inconsistency, are they THAT noticeable?
4.) What's the worst that would happen if I ignore this? Can I go one more season with it like it is?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks folks!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Admiral

well...that's the hard part about telling people that keep their boats in the water all the time...you tell them if your going to do that...make sure it's bottom painted....and the return comment is ALWAYS!!.."but it's in fresh water"....
so....now you know it doesn't matter...what I know some people do is to pop the blisters...and then apply some gelcoat repairs after they sand the blisters down some.....then apply primer and bottom paint....the main thing to do is make sure the blister is popped (kinda like popping a zit)...
then sand and apply a gel coat repair...it doesn't have to be perfect cuz your going to roll on primer (which you have to sand the bottom anyway) and bottom paint....

if it were me..since your boat is on a trailer now....unload it onto stands...( you can do this in a weekend or two)....follow the above recommendations...and save yourself about 4grand.....make sure you use masking tape and a tarp underneath..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

So you really think I can do this myself, SP? I've watched a few videos on how to do it from West Marine's website, You Tube, etc... and I think I could do it. Sounds like a perfect off-season project due to the amount of times it would have to be moved from the blocks to do the entire bottom (I count eight times). The biggest hurdle I see is finding a place I can do this in. I'll be asking around for a shop to rent next off-season, but I'm still skeptical about even HAVING blistering to be honest with you. I think a good chemical wash underneath will reveal a lot... but I'll keep the forum posted. Appreciate your insight, as always!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Admiral

I think you can do it....I've seen others that have done it and it's not hard...since the blister is going to be popped and filled in with a filler...then sealed....it's all roll on...so yeah...you can do it in a weekend or 2.......like you said...the hard part is getting up on blocks...and even that isn't a big deal...most of the yards locally will rent you some stands....and then just adjusting the stands a couple of times and your done...too bad your on the other side of Wa. state....I'd help ya out ....

keep us posted...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Appreciate the vote of confidence, and the "offer" to help SP. I'll keep you posted on progress.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

If you have blisters, you can see them easily. Superficial surface irregularities in gel coat are one thing, but you would notice blisters from further than arms length.

I'm with Seapuppy - fixes that will end up under bottom paint don't have to be pretty, just pop-fill-sand each of them methodically. If he and I can do it, it just isn't that tough. Really. It's just your time instead of writing the big check.

$4280 sounds on the high side for that kind of work to me. Subtract out the materials and unless the shop is spending 40-50 total hours to do this, they're cutting a pretty fat hog. If you opt to have it done, I would surely get another quote or two. I've heard of guys having their entire transom replaced for that kind of money. It just seems high.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote