Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Anchor Chain question

I have a Simpson - Lawrence Windlass on my boat which runs 1/4" G4 rode. Last year I lost an anchor and was left with about 80' of existing chain. I've put a new anchor on, but in some situations I really need to be letting out more rode than I currently have.

Does anyone have a good outlet for 1/4" G4 Chain...and secondly, the only link that I see available for marrying the old chain to the new is a laplink from West Marine that only has an 800lb test rating, where the chain has a 2600lb test rating...anyone know of a better chain link?

SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #2

80' is far too little, I agree. That would limit you to not reall being able to anchor in more than 11 ft. of water unless conditions were ideal. 16ft. in good conditions. (I wouldn't go shorter than 5:1 on my rode). Do you need to run an all chain rode? I don't typically see all chain rodes in boats under 20,000 lbs, with the exception of some hardcore bluewater cruisers. Does your windlass only take chain? I know many windlasses don't take shackles, but how about slicing 100' of 3-strand line to the chain? just a thought.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Yeah, I have to agree with Shrew - our friends have a boat about your size and displacement that use 100 feet of chain and another 150 feet of rope rode with a stout Bruce anchor. We've rafted with them on their hook many times, more than once in 20+ knot winds and never dragged even at 5:1 scope. 80 feet of chain is a substaintail amount of weight sitting on the bottom by itself.

That all depends on whether or not your windless will handle both chain and rope.

(Attaching a rope rode to a chain without a shackle)
http://www.northstaranchors.com/anch...orsplice.shtml
or
http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsp...matedknots.com

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks guys...
I guess I've always thought that rope would snap off of the chain easier than just one long constant chain. I also wonder how rope holds up after being constantly subjected to water, and whether it loses some of its strength and integrity. My windlass will accommodate both chain and rope. I'd hate to lose another anchor based on poor rode integrity.

In the case you mention then, all I would need is rope, given that I already have 80' of chain. I'll have to see if its possible to find the correct rope and if its possible to braid rope onto my existing chain.

Thanks,
Jeff
SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #5

What caused the chain to part to begin with?

3 stranded line can be sliced onto a chain link. I can't personally do it, but you can pay to have it done, or buy a marlin spike and a book and practice a few times and it yourself. I've never been motivated to do so myself, but it isn't an uncommon nautical skill. I've been running 5/8" braided line with about 20ft. of chain. It certainly hasn't broken yet. I soak my lines in freshwater with a cap of woolite and rinse them in freshwater several times at the end of every season. I then inspect for abrasions and damage. I've had my current anchor line on for a couple of years with no issues.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I've got to agree, while I'm a freshwater kid I've never seen a cruiser that wasn't running some chain with rope.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

LOL, BTW. In the essence of full disclosure, read the post I just swallowed my pride and submitted. Then decide whether you want to take my advice on this matter.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Summerbreeze, it shouldn't be costly to have 100+ rope braided onto the chain link. I just had mine done because the last link on my chain had rusted and I feared it would fall apart leaving me anchorless. The braiding at my local marine supply was $10. and it took about 15 minutes. The store also recommended alternating between each end of the rope by rebraiding it every 3 or 4 years, and as shrew said at the end of each season soak the rope in fresh water with fabric softener; the key is to keep it soft.