Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Anchor & Rope

I have a 2003 2700 SCR. I am having a new Lewmar V700 Vertical Windlass installed this winter. I want to purchase a new anchor and chain/rope. Do you have any suggestions on length of chain and rope and weight of the anchor? What type of rope etc.... I am located in Havre de Grace, MD.

Penns Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Admiral

well..what sized anchor do you have now??...
should be the same size for the length of the boat....the windlass isn't going to care....as for RODE and chain...you should probably have at least 25 ft of chain.....the longer the better but that will be enough...then have at least 200-300 ft of rode.....from the anchor...have a turn buckle installed to the chain and anchor...it will allow the anchor to turn as needed without twisting the chain all up.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Also, you will more than likely need to get your anchor rode and chain spliced together. Most windlass' won't take a shackle and thimble. Check the largest chain and anchor line that your windlass will accept. Most windlasses also require 3 strand line as opposed to a kermantle. Double check before you spend a large chunk of change on either. Also, not all chain is the same. Look at the breaking strength to size for BBB, Proof Coil, HT (High Test), etc. Most chain is measured with a "G" value. G3, G4, etc. The higher the number the higher the breaking strength. Your windlass manual will tell you the type of chain and size/dimensions of the links that you need. I looked up the specs on a Lewmar v700 Vertical:

Chain: 1/4 Inch G4, 1/4 Inch BBB, 7mm DIN 766
Rode: 1/2 Inch 3-Strand and 8-Plait
In this case 1/4" G4 is stonger than 1/4 BBB. Make sure the links will fit though.

I believe the breaking strength on braided line is typically higher than 3 strand, though braided can be more costly. I suspect a the 3 strand will probably be easier in the gypsy however. Just a few thoughts.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Admiral

I'll add my 2 cents.......all this chain and rode and you are talking a chunk of change............Check some of the outlet stores in your area for package deals (Defender had a good package deal ). Like shrew said you want the chain and rode spliced together. Now to save some money you could do that yourself. Doing a marlinspike splice ( go to www.animatedknots.com ) is really easy using three strand nylon ( IMHO I would stick to that) for your rode. Buy your chain and a spool of line (make sure you have the right sizes most lewmar use the G4 and the 1/4) make your splice and you have it done. Atleast 5 feet of chain (or whatever the pocketbook can handle). You might look into a swivel shackle to attach your chain to the anchor. Makes it easier getting the anchor right side up when pulling it into the boat.

Hope all this helps and good luck!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks to all about the advice. I ended up going to Star Marina and order the Lewmar chain and anchor that is designed for this V700 windlass and my size boat.
Penns Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Admiral

Pictures....or it didn't happen!!!!

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #7

so what size and type of chain and line did you end up buying? What length of chain and line? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL
Old 11-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Admiral

shrew...I thought I taught you better than that.....geezus...dress him up...send him to school ..and he still can't tell the difference between "line" and "rode"......

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Admiral

It's just a spool of rope at Walmart until you pick it up......................
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
shrew...I thought I taught you better than that.....geezus...dress him up...send him to school ..and he still can't tell the difference between "line" and "rode"......

SP
Oh SNAP!! I just got PWNED! LOL, sorry I couldn't resisit. (You can almost hear the urban dictionary sites spinning up now).

So TECHNICALLY, since the OP posted "rope" and we all know that it's only rope until it crosses the gunwale where it becomes LINE, AND everyone was so nice to not come down too hard on the OP with the standard rope vs. line disucssion (because this is by and large one of the most polite, accepting, and friendly forums I have ever been a member of (Heartfelt, not tongue in cheek on this part)). I figured I wouldn't muddy the water with the difference between Line and Rode.

but since SP threw down the gaunlet. RODE is technically the line, chain or combination of each which connect the ground tackle to the to vessel. One of the reasons it is referred to a RODE and not 'Anchor Line' is that RODE can be Line Only, Chain Only, Combination of Chain and Line, and even Cable. Whereas Line refers to a Rope on a vessel, and Anchor Line is rope used specifically as RODE, Line would not be technically applicable for applications such as Chain or Cable, which neither are Lines.

In this case, RODE is the combination of both chain and line and I was curious about the length and diameter of each, I referred to each as it's individual part, rather than the whole, where teh whole being Rode made up of both Chain and line.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Admiral

Thumbs up

very good young skywalker......you win a cookie......

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Admiral

Mr Shrew..........I must get you to teach our next Marlinspike chapter on knots, turns, bitter ends, working ends and so forth at our next ABC course this spring for our Power Squadron class. Or I will just have to remember all that was said in that last thread of yours...... excellent.......
Roger