Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Default Alcohol Stoves

I have, as I'm sure many of us do, an Origo alcohol/Electric stove. I'm no stranger to various white gas, alcohol stoves, propane stoves. However, typically these have either pressurized lpg, or pressurized white gas/alcohol. I'm also a bit freaky when it comes to open flames on a boat. (We have friends that burn votive candles all the time and the admiral wants to burn candles occassionally. I say Absolutely NOT!!)

The stoves I've had experience with are either the Coleman style (pump) pressure stoves, or backpacking stoves. The backpacking stoves I've owned work similar to other pressurized stoves I've seen on boats. There is a small pimer cup, that needs to be filled. Pump some pressure in the tank, then squeek out a little fuel to fill the pimer cup about 1/2 way full (maybe a bit less), then light the pimer cup and let it pre-heat the fuel in the fuel line. Just before it burns out you can open the fuel line again and the burner will usually light.
I've seen many comical situations in the back country when someone uses one of these stoves for the first time and I've seen many become balls of flame. Typically (always) it's a result of overpriming the pimer cup and the overflowed fuel catching the stove and anything underneath it on fire. I've also heard many stories of people on boats doing the exact same thing.

So, now I look at the Origo on my boat. This thing is more like a giant zippo lighter. This is not anything I am familiar with. (I know, about now you're thinking, 'hey man how about sending up a flare so we know when you're getting to the point'. I'm getting there.)

1) Anyone use the Origo alcohol stove?

2) Anyone use the pressurized style of stove?

3) Which is safer?

4) How do you store the fuel for the stove?

I'd like to start using trying to use the alocohol stove, but I'm very, very leary. Is there anything I should be aware of? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Admiral

well...Al stoves are pretty easy...to fill ...take it out onto your cockpit or the dock...tilt the unit as you fill it..once it starts to saturate the filter element...it's done...
how safe is it??...well..if it starts to get too much..just toss water on it...alchohol delutes quickly and will go out...the rest of the boat will continue to burn but the stove will go out...

just kidding..

how safe it is depends on how safe you are...when you cook..just keep a cup of water close by to toss on it if it flairs...

I used to store mine in the cockpit seat stowage area....the other place I stowed it was in cooler and either in the engine bay or back in the fender locker or trunk...

I never used one of the pressurized stoves....cept those colman type pump action stoves....never cared for them...
one thing to remember is Al stoves burn a bit cooler than say a gas stove..so it takes longer to boil water....about 1 min longer....

hope this helps..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Captain

hai shrew,

as SP told to keep water in the nabour.........to me it lookes that making your meal on the origo is much more dangerous then coocking on gas. in the bayliner 28ft i had i took the origo out and build in gas.........never problems (is this allowed in the usa) used the origo just one time.......all the pots had soot of the flames, so no origo for me.....now on our 2400 sc3 we use.....this stove with a gas bottle inside the stove

http://www.obelink.nl/ws/assortiment...d=44&arid=4196

so save, easy and cheap........

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and give it a whirl. Ed, I'm pretty sure those stoves are both legal and available here in the US. that would be an option, but I try to avoid duplicity. I don't want to pull a stove from a locker just to set it up on another stove already installed in the galley counter. It reminds me of the old, 'Broken console TV is now a TV stand for the new TV', look I remember from the 70's. LOL. Plus it leaves less space for booze LOL.

The soot on the bottom of the pot can be washed. I used to rub a soap bar on the outside of my pots and let it dry a waxy haze, then cook with it. It turns the pot BLACK, but it rubs right off with a damp towel. I'm just trying to reduce my dependancy on the generator.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

We've always used the Origo single burner 2500E, with either the electric option on shore power or generator, and used the alcohol option lots of times too. To avoid the soot you can buy special alcohol at any marine store that doesn't leave carbon, although it costs more . We just used regular rubbing alcohol and endured the soot.

I don't know about other makes, but we always felt safe with the Origo due to the flue lever that cuts off air to the flame.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Admiral

oh yeah...forgot all about the flew lever....that's the other protection with Al stoves....dang....memory is the second thing that goes..i don't remember the first..

anyway...if it flairs up..just shut the lever....thanks tommy!!...
completely slipped my mind over that lever..

Sp
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Captain

hai shrew...

take the origo away and make a new worktop in the kitchen, a lot of space, if you want to cook......take 2 of the little stoves and cook your meal.....finished..? store them somewhere......expensive....? no... stove just 16,50 us dollar each.......gasbottles 1,60 a piece......(fun price) we used almost 2 bottles during our holiday......finished with cooking....stored it in the ski locker of our 2400 sc3.....

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #8

So I decided to read the instructions and the stove states Denatured Alcohol. I head down to the chandlery and they are selling Denatured Alcohol and Boat Stove Fuel for the exact same price side by side. i'm told the Boat Stove Alcohol doesn't have solvents and burns cleaner. I tried it and it works great. ow, filling that stupid canister is a completely different story. It seems impossible to fill that thing without spilling. I bought a measuring cup with a pour spout and I'm goingt o give that a try.

All in all, works great, not really that big of a deal. i'm not sure why we didn't try this years ago.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
Lieutenant

West Marine has an electric two burner with pressurize alcohol under them. My 1990 28 Carver came with them stock. they are a little tricky to use but after you get it they work fine.

William Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote