Old 06-24-2021, 01:35 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Alarm

97 3000scr twin 4.3 engines. All was fine cruising at 4000rpms at 4500rpms an alarm sounded. All gauges showed well I cut the power and shut down starboard engine alarm still on. I then shut off port engine and alarm went off. I restarted both and cruised home at 4000rpms, no alarm. When back I dock I checked all fluids and were good. The whole time temp 170 and oil pressure gauges 50 were good. I noticed some water in bilge and turned it on and nothing. Line was clogged and turned it on and it pumped alot of water out. Big rain last week with cover off. Could the alarm be from the water in the bilge? It was a constant alarm. New to this boat last year and never had issues. New batteries and tune up this spring.

Jkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:52 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Not sure bilge has an alarm unless installed by previous owner.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
Admiral

Since the alarm stopped when you shut the port engine down I doubt it’s a high water bilge alarm as that should be wired separately but would also be aftermarket so who knows how a PO may have installed it. I’m assuming there engines have carburetors therefore their alarm is the basic one that monitors oil pressure, water temperature and gear lube reservoir level. The sensors for these are separate from the helm gauge senders so one could trigger while the helm gauges show normal. 4400-4800 is the max operating range for this engine and should only be operated at for a few minutes doing cruising at this rpm will greatly reduce the life of the engine. I suspect running at 4500 rpm for an extended period of time trigger the temp sensor causing the alarm.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Captain

Agree with Mike. If the alarm sound was the same you get when turning the key to Run without starting, the it’s one of the circuits he described.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote