Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via Skype™ to 4n6PI
Smile adding myself to the "new member" club :-)

Hi All !!

Bought a 1997 Maxum SCR 2800 about a month ago... took some time to get it to Ocean City, NJ. Then it took time to figure out how stuff works.
So, we actually took it out this past weekend for the first time with the whole family and loved it. Smiles all around..!!
Newbie mistakes I thought I would share for your enjoyment...
Went out the first time for a quick test, fuel tank was close to empty so we came back and filled the tank. When we went to go back out the poor thing almost had a heart attack with the wife, kids, me and a full tank of gas... :-) note to self, don't fill it unless you need to..
Lost the keys at the boardwalk had to replace the ignition switch, wasn't a big deal to do, thankfully. Well, now I have 2 keys is the way I look at it.
Docking a much bigger boat than I had previously was a great show for the others at the marina, didn't do any damage other than to my pride which was good.
We were able to figure most things out, but I do have a question if anyone has an answer.
What is the second transducer with a little propeller on it for? The cable is wrapped up under the dash. Since the speedometer doesn't work I was wondering if that is what it was connected to.
anyway thank you for your time, looking forward to awesome summers at the shore with the family!!

4n6PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

First you wife and kids along with a full tank of fuel should not make the boat struggle. What is the WOT under these conditions?

The transducer with the wheel is probably for an external electronic unit (GPS) to measure speed over water. The factory helm speedometer uses a air pressure from the outdrives pickup.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Hi Mike, and thank you.. We only went out for a few minutes just to go out for a spin in the channel near the marina. Not being experienced yet, we still wanted to try it out. I have a person I hired from the area who will go out with me to show me how to use everything on the boat as well as, show me where to go and not go...would hate to get stuck on a sand bar or worse.
I could simply tell the difference from the test run with an almost empty tank and then coming back from the fuel dock once the tank was full.

Do you have any idea how I would find out if the transducer is for a particular device? although I have had a boat before it was smaller and used in a river. Also, it did not have all the things that this boat has...and, I don't know what I don't know...:-)
thanks again, nice to meet you..virtually anyway.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Admiral

Good idea having an experienced person show you the ropes on this boat.

Is there a bracket at the helm where an aftermarket electronic device may have been? I have a Lorance GPS chart plotter and it uses two transducers, one for depth and the other for speed/water temp.

Being that it was bundled up under the helm makes me think it was never connected.

Mike
Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Yes, there is a Raymarine C70 I did some internet searching and I found that I would need a dsm 300 module and some kind of adapter to connect the two since the transducer has 10 pins and the dsm300 does not. I cannot however find any adapter at all to connect the two since I have no idea who made the transducer. see image..
https://www.maxumownersclub.com/foru...icture3233.jpg
I really appreciate the time and replies... thank you.

James
Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thought I would add a better pic of the plug as well as one of the transducer...from under the boat..

Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Admiral

I would contact Raymarine with this info to see if they can suggest a module that would allow use of the existing speedo transducer.

Mike
Old 06-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Lt. JG

will do, thank you
Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
Admiral

What engine package is in the boat? My buddy has the same boat with a 7.4L Bravo 3 package and it was a dog when loaded. He bought a set of 4 blade props from Hill Marine and it made all the difference in the world as far as getting on plane and being able to cruise at lower RPM.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
Lt. JG

Hi Phillbo,
http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...icture3237.jpg
There is a Mercury 496 mag engine (single) also, I am new at this type of boat so I am sure I am not doing what I need to do yet. As stated earlier I am having someone go out with me to show me what I need to know, I am sure that will be one of the ah ha moments...:-)

Tags
new boat owner