Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default About to purchase a 2300 SC

After looking around for a while it looks like we have decided to purchase a 1995 23' Maxum 2300 SC Cuddy in very good condition. The owner just bought a custom trailer paid $4,400 for it last month but ended up finding a good deal on a Crownline boat so he is selling the Maxum. We are going on a test drive on the river tonight and we are also slipping the boat on the river too. I don’t know much about Maxum boats and this is our first boat purchase except for a few fishing boats at the cabin. We are going to pay $12,500 for the boat and I am also looking for advice on purchasing an older boat and general advice. We will be taking the DNR boating safety online then taking the Power courses my dad suggested. Personally I wanted a day boat water skiing and wakeboarding but the girlfriend really wanted a cuddy with head.

Thanks

Andrew

minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #2

Default Re: About to purchase a 2300 SC

I would strongly recommend having the boat surveyed and make sure the survey includes a sea trial. (Ok, River Trial). I would not recommend treating a boat like a car and trying to do my own test drive. Think of it more like a house. you wouldn't buy a house without a house inspection. Plus most insurance companies require a professional survey to insure the boat. You can certainly take it on a test drive to see if it is worth going the next step and surveying and sea trialing, especially since a complete survey isn't cheap. ( I paid about $700 for one a few years ago).

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Ensign

Tonight is just to see if we really like the boat enough. I just want to get a feel of it and the handling, I'm used to day boats under 2,000 lbs so this is all new to me. For a 14 year old boat to me it's a lot of money. I personally wanted a searay sport boat around 2005 but she wants more comfort and sleep overs. The girl always wins out :-)
minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....as stated...when you decide to pull the trigger to go to the next step.....make sure you get it mechanically surveyed and the hull inspected.....if he treated the engine and drives well..you may have a very nice boat....but it depends on how well the PO maintained it.....look for any signs of neglect.....wear and tear that wasn't fixed properly....etc...any wiring hanging and not secured to spec's....rust....any corrosion on the drives....etc....a well maintained boat will be as good as a new aboat....but ....there are maintenance items that need to be attended too every yr....such as impellers on the drive...tuneups.....tightening of certain clamps and bolts...screws..etc....oil changes on the engine/drive at least twice a yr......once in the spring and once in the fall....proper greasing of the joints and gimbals.....etc.....tons of maintenance that will make your life easier....so...get it properly surveyed....then use it to negotiate a lower price or repair....

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Lots of boats out there for sale, especially with the economy down. I have the same boat (see gallery for pics). Yes, there always seems to be another make/model that I want, but this one I own and enjoy.

We surveyed numerous boats, all having the same ammenities: cuddy w/head, 23-24', wide beam, swim deck/platform. at the time, under $15k budget.

We chose the Maxum for the overall versatility. I have a small family with lots of friends. This was the only boat that has a very large seating area and open cuddy. We can jam loads of gear down there and still easily seat 6-8. Even with the table installed on main deck there is plenty of room. No other boat in this size/class had this much room.

While the 5.0L does not have 'rip yo arms off' holeshot, it does run smooth, sips fuel (for a boat), and is actually quite nimble, making for good tubing/wakeboarding/surfing. Most of all it takes on rough chop well.

Good luck on your search, contact me if you specific questions about this boat.

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Admiral

max.....um...buddy......we don't have no gallery right now..... :shock:

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Just realized that. Been awhile since I've logged in.

http://www.madmax.smugmug.com/Boats

Lots of pics here. :hello:

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Have to agree with the space and versatility comments. We recently aquired a 2004 2400 SC3 with only 72 hours on it and in super condition.

We had actually gone to a particular marina to look at a 2001 Chaparral 23' with a cuddy. Boat was in "ok" condition but cockpit space seemed a little tight and the boat had no swim platform. We were not "wowed". The 2400 SC3 was sitting right next to the Chap and the broker said it just became available that morning because the deal he had on it fell through.

The Maxum fit us better in every way. Far better cockpit space. 6 adults comfortably, 8 in a pinch. Walk-through transom, swim platform, slightly larger cuddy, sink w/ water on deck and a shower hose in the transom trunk. Really good use of space and storage. The Maxum was even powered better than the Chap. And it was less expensive and had a much newer trailer. Only thing the Maxum gave up to the Chap was "looks"; the Chap was just a better looking boat.

Not much of a decision to make - a no brainer!

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote