Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #21
Lt. Commander

Dumping stock and the £ at it's best rate against $ for many years, would seem good value to buy boat later this year ... make the import costs worthwhile.

Don't think this is general decline in US though .... I work for a US company and we have just posted our best ever figures, expanding & recruiting ... so it's not all doom & gloom.

Personally (as was mentioned by others) the US has had, and still does have it far too easy on fuel .. resulting in large inefficient engines ... I was in Florida, had a minivan with a 5.4L engine and this had less go in it than my Honda Civic !

Good old U S of A has enormous resources, if the car industry had to put the effort into producing engines that made less emissions & greater fuel economy to match what most of the rest of the Western World has to do .... the improvement would be catastrophic.

Market forces are one thing ... but it is cost to the pocket & legislation that makes things happen.
I have a petrol car that averages 42 miles to the gallon, I chose that car because I wanted a quality but cheap to run car ... and manufacturers have produced cars specifically as a result.
They know that quoted urban cycle MPG figures affect the choice of car that many people make ... so they make more efficient cars.

Just be great if US came on board with this philosophy, and the big car manufactures really put in the effort .... this would have a great knock on for boating.

Me .. I would rather see the money spent on improving the world we have than sending multi trillion dollar space shots off .... I don't really care what is in trail of some distant comet, or what the surface of Mars looks like.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #22
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Its not all doom and gloom but the sports boat market is in decline - the small marine segment is not in great shape at all.

I'm sure other industries are still booming, but right now Brunswick (US Marine) is laying people off left right and centre....

Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #23
Lt. Commander

Maybe Brunswick has just too many boats trying for same market segment ? ... take a look at the Brunswick website and see how many markes are aiming for same trade.
Most companies that end up with lots of acquisitions & a portfolio of companies end up eventually realising the 80:20 rule (Juran knew his stuff)

Pareto analysis will show that 80% of the income will come from 20% of the business, and ultimately that means to survive in lean times, the non-economical 80% of the business has to go.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #24
Lt. Commander

Its not just Brunswick - The market as a whole is down. Its only the bigger more expensive boats that are having a great time right now.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

brunswick also own sealine now so will be interesting to see any changes that may occur over the next couple of years
Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #26
Lt. Commander

They've owned them for a little while now haven't they?

Seems like a good deal for SeaLine - access to Brunswisk economies of scale but I'm sure there will be trade offs.

I'm planning to Visit the SeaLine Plant with work in a few months so shall report back once I have...