Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default A/C Inop

First weekend on the water.

A/C Inop

Turns on, fan comes on and I guess compressor comes on for a few minutes then compressor kicks off abd fan continues to run.

On the electronic thermostat where it reads degrees three letters are flashing, HFP or HPF.

I'm thinking maybe HP us high pressure. Just a long shot guess

Anyone have this before?

2600SE

cassymai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Commander

According to my Passport II manual, HPF stand for "High Refrigerant Pressure". Usually caused by lack of seawater flow or air flow. Check your strainer and make sure the pump is pushing enough water through the system. Also check you air filter and make sure there obstructions. If the problem continues then they say to set the Low Fan Speed Limit to the maximum value (set parameter P-3 to 64) and to set the Heat Mode parameter P-13 to "rEF".

The following link should take you to the Passport manual which tells you how to change the various settings of the system. It is actually very easy to do.

http://www.dometic.com/71234ba8-c7cc...8aa88437.fodoc

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

Could it be that the it's too cool to keep running? What is the thermostat set to? Is there water coming out of the discharge when the A/C was running? Has teh A/C worked this season, or is this the first time you're running it? I have to prime my pump and raw water filter every season.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Great Info, That manual is just what i needed.

Yes, first time using A/C this season. I have never had to prime pump in the past, maybe got lucky or maybe marina did it with spring get ready.

I was originally thinking maybe something with sea water pick up so i checked to be sure the valve was open. I felt the hose going to to A/C unit and it felt like water was flowing but that can be deceiving.

This is first time I ever had the boat on the trailer. Used it to transport from NJ to Chesapeake and after I launched boat into the water I noticed markings/indentation on bunk of trailer where sea water pick up would be. Maybe thats damaged.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

cassy,

So when you turn it on does it push water out the side. you thats the first thing we need to know to help.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Not sure if the A/C system was discharging water.

I did have water discharge from the side but at the same time the bilge was pumping water.

I'll need to distinguish which discharge hole is for the A/C and which was for the bilge. (three right in a row).

I can't get back to the boat till the weekend.

I am assuming that if the A/C system is discharging water than the seawater piick up is working ok.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassymai View Post
Not sure if the A/C system was discharging water.

I am assuming that if the A/C system is discharging water than the seawater piick up is working ok.
You are correct. If water is discharging, the system is open from end to end. Pick-up -> Seacock -> Raw Water Strainer -> AC Pump -> A/C Unit -> Discharge overboard.

One easy way to determine is to look at the A/C unit. There will be the incoming raw water line and the discharge line. (Hopefully you can access and follow it). Try putting some water in the bilge and running each bilge pump to verify which discharge is which. You should have discharges for deck drains, bilge pumps, sinks and the A/C. I'd expect the A/C discharge to fairly close to the A/C unit itself.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Lt. JG

well fixed my A/C system this weekend.

simple fix.

The problem was actually the discharge hose to portal was clogged right where the discharge hose connected to the thru hull fitting.

just started to follow the water flow. the pump was taking in raw water ok but not discharging therefore a lack of seawater as members have mentioned.

actually i wasnt even thinking about that being clogged, i was looking for a possible problem within the unit. when i took the hose off then turned on ac out shot a big clog of seaweed.

FYI, my dometic AC unit is labelled incorrectly for water flow. Obvious to figure out though because you can see where the hoses go.

Thanks all for your feedback
Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #9

Awesome!!! Thanks for the follow-up. It's miserable to have a non-functioning A/C in the middle of a heatwave. I'm glad that worked out for you. Plus, now you know a little more about your boat.