Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 98 scr 3000 access required to inside of deck water fitting ( fresh water tank)

As most of you know this is our 1st season with out boat & we love it. However there has been some issues i have been chasing. One has been when i fill the fresh water tank with a garden hose the bilge suddenly has a bunch of water in it. I have done some research. I have emptied the bilge(outside the bathroom) & in the engine compartment & left the 90% full water tank sit for 1 week ( with the water pressure on) No issues or leaks that i can find. Im thinking there is a problem with a split hose or loose clamp on the inside of the fresh water fitting. (tank fill) Questionis how do i access it to check or maintain it. It appears to be behind the head but near the front of the aft cabin. Is there a panel i can easily remove to fix the problem?? I have tried to remove the container under the arm rest at the helm but its in front of a bulk head & can not be seen. Removing the other panel by the drivers right knee wont help either.
any advice?
thanks
timer

timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #2

Timer, where is the deck plate for the water fill on the 98 3000? My 97 2800 is on the Stb stern of the transom. Based on the description, this sounds like either the connection of the fill hose to the deck plate, or the connection of the fill hose to the FW Holding tank, or a split somewhere in the hose itself. A split hose is unlikely, especially since water doesn't typically sit in the hose.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

Disregard, I found some pics online. Does your helm look like this? Is there anything on the backside of that removable console wher the fire extinguisher is located? Otherwise, you're going to be pulling down panels in the midcabin.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Lieutenant

1st, Shrew. You have commented & helped on propably every thread i have started. THANKS!
My helm does look like that. Im certain the glass is not cut out behind the panel where the fire extinguisher is. ( i will double check) It could be cut out to gain access & once the panel is screwed back in place no one would ever know. might be an option but would not want to weaken the structure. How are the panels in the mid cabin secured. They have hidden all the fasteners if there are any. Im thinking the vertical panel in the corner where the 110v receptacle is, would be the one to remove but unsure. Im thinking this is a job where 6ft long arms would be an asset. hmmm
Timer
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Did you look where your stbd fuel tank is? you pull the wall in your aft cabin is straight out (where the map lights are) it is only on by velcro
OceanStateTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Lieutenant

I took a chance & removed the plastic storage bin in the bathroom & luckily i can access all the bathroom thru hull fittings & the water fill deck plate. Long arms will be required. Thanks Oceanstatetuning on the tip. I wondered how to remove the walls in the aft cabin. I put some water in the water tank tonight via 5 gal water jugs & no leaks. Im going to put another 10 gal in tomorrow. Im starting to think the leak is in the vent hose. I wont rest untill i find the problem.
Thanks
Timer
Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Ensign

I'm having a similar problem - same boat. What did you mean by the plastic storage bin? The one starboard side with the long piano hinge on the bottom or on the bulkhead by the toilet roll holder?
nigelbartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Captain

guys, time to get an air compressor hooked up to the hose dock on the stern and pump of the system to 30 lbs, and watch for water fountains and then listen to the air hiss.

Simple to track down the leak before dismantling the boat.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Before you commented pascavone i filled everything with water & ran an extra 5 gal thru the vent . No leaks . It is now re assembled. What i did find is that there was a small crack in the forward bilge under the shower pump I knew it was not thru the hull but appeared to be cosmetic. What i think was happening was water from the rear bilge would slosh ahead upon slowing the boat & would come thru this crack & enter the forward bilge. I have since sealed this with 5200. no water yet. I do wonder if i should get to the other side of the bulkhead & treat it as well. ?? Good idea pascavone just the same.
Timer