Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 4100 SCR Anchor - Cut line

Hi Folks

We had to cut our anchor away last weekend and I'm not certain what the size is. Per charts I see 33lb and 44lb to replace but I've yet to go to the store and look at them. Can anyone with a 4100 SCR out there tell me what their boat came with. I think a 33lb stainless Danforth will do but if they came with a 44lb Id like to replace it with one. Suggestions welcome of course.

For the record I mostly anchor in sand but last weekend we anchored in a cove and after an hour of trying to free ourselves using cleats and moving every which way we could, we had no choice but to cut it away. :-(

TC

ktchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

I'm showing the specs on a 4100 SCR as:

Weight (dry): 18,800 lbs
LOA: 43' 7"

Rocna: 44lb
Anchor Sizing Guide | RocnaŽ Anchors

Spade: 44 lbs
https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/anchor-sizing-charts.php

Manson Supreme: 35lb
https://www.mansonanchors.com/anchors/#anchorselector

Delta: 35Lb
https://www.lewmar.com/node/11594

I'm not a fan of the Danforth anchor. I prefer the new generation anchors, which I've had much better success with. I've used the Rocna Traditional, Manson Supreme and Rocna Vulcan extensively. All with excellent results. I've dragged several times on a Danforth design.

I'd be looking at either a Rocna Vulcan or a Spade. I don't think the rollbar of a Rocna Traditional or a Manson Supreme will work with your through-pulpit anchor pulpit. I personally think the Manson Boss is ugly. I'd go with a galvanized anchor, along with 40 feet of galvanized 5/16" G4 chain and 5/8" anchor line.

This is just one mans opinion.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

I have a Fortress fx 23 for use primarily in sand bottom. About 15 ' chain and the rest rode (line). Does well....but maybe not best in clay bottoms.
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn111 View Post
I have a Fortress fx 23 for use primarily in sand bottom. About 15 ' chain and the rest rode (line). Does well....but maybe not best in clay bottoms.
Not great for reversing tides either. I had my chain foul a Fortress a number of years ago, causing my boat to drag.

They hold very, very well in a single direction. I use the fortress as a stern anchor.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Default Bought one

I went with a 20 lbs Galvanized Steel Danforth "Hi-Tensile" Fluke Anchor by Tie Down Engineering. Boat Length: Up to 50'. Works like a champ. Thanks for the info folks.
ktchristie is offline   Reply With Quote